1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

A little ketchup

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Apr 9, 2018.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Or catch up rather. While I haven't bought anything new since we last spoke, I can update how everything is.

I still heavily use most of my blades, in fact only the Suji really lags behind, but that's mostly because it really only comes out for carving needs.

When I was starting out and built this collection the Martell Petty was probably my least liked blade, mostly because it just wasn't as eye popping as it's bigger mates, but now, it is by far my most heavily grabbed and used blade I own, it just does everything and is easy to clean. Pretty sure it's O1 but it is from when Dave just kind of started doing them. I love this little guy for sure.

My next two are the Martell modified Hiramoto, and the Cris Anderson I almost just switch back and forward with them, Cris is better at release with wet sticky veggies like potstoes, but the Martell mod has a sturdier profile, so sometimes they get grabbed because of a task at hand. That live edge handle is the first one Cros ever put on a knife, and I think I got his first leather sheath too, and I still think I have one of the best looking mods Dave ever put on that knife.

The bunka is from Ian Haburn, it's a 2 of 10 thing from a limited release project in our first year here, has a little plaque and all. The bunka itself is odd, it doesn't really fit anything as far as a niche roll, but I grab it often, almost acts like a wide petty for me, great for small tasks like cutting and scooping herbs and garlic. But I do use it on veggies a tonne to since it lets wet flat surfaces go well.

The nakiri is still my fav veg decimater, it's its wide face makes scooping awesome, that turned out to be my first Japanese blade. It's a masakage, as is the other petty from their koishi line. I don't grab that as often as Dave's petty, but I do love that little blade a tonne. It doesn't do anything bad, was sharp as all hell out of the box too.

To be honest,all the knives do well enough for all tasks I'll just grab whatever I feel like grabbing at any given time needed.

And they all work on top of my boardsmith end grain maple from before the business sold. It's still beautiful and perfect.

Coming back here is asking for trouble lol... Y'all are a bad influence on my bank account, although to be honest, I'm not sure what I would add that would either add something to what I have, or replace it anyway, so maybe I'm safe.

I do need to make myself a custom knife block though.
    IMG_20180219_160530485.jpg

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Even has all most usual typos lol.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member