1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

4 Martell Wa Petties For Sale

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I have available 4 Martell wa petties for sale, 2 of them are complete, the other 2 are 50%. [​IMG]

Stats:

Model - Petty

Blade Length - 160mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless steel)

Hardness - Rc 61-62 (with cryo)

Height (at heel) - 32-33mm

Handle - Wa (see each knife for specifics)

#1 - Dyed (light blue) bird's eye maple with African blackwood ferrule
    Shape - round top & bottom w/flat sides
    This bird's eye maple is from Herr Keller's stash. It's really nice, very iridescent, lots of eyes, with chatoyance.

Dimensions - 15/19mm x 18/23mm

#2 - English sycamore with African blackwood ferrule
    Shape - Octagonal (very straight, sort of a boxey style)
    The sycamore has a lot of movement in the figuring, simple, very classy looking.

Dimensions - 15/20mm x 17/21mm

#3 - Dyed (brown) maple burl with African blackwood ferrule
    Shape - Octagonal (tapered - yet slightly boxey)
    The maple has a lot burl character, I think it's a nice example.

Dimensions - 15/18mm x 17/22mm

#4 - Dyed (green) buckeye burl with African blackwood ferrule
    Shape - Octagonal (tapered - very traditional look/feel)
    I almost NEVER use buckeye burl anymore because it sucks for use on western handles but I thought I'd give it a go (I had this block sitting here for years) and see if I was correct in that softer woods can work OK with the octagonals and it turned out it does.
    The buckeye is a nice green that's neither gaudy or loud yet it's bold enough to be different. [​IMG]

Dimensions - 16/19mm x 20/23mm

So why all the different shapes?

Well, these knives didn't start out as knives, they were handle experiments that would become knives if all went well. I wanted to try some different working techniques and finish shapes so I glued up them up and had success (in all but one - 1 out of 5 isn't a bad loss when learning). I decided to leave them as I did them and offer something a little different. What do you think?

On the two handles without blades...obviously the brown maple burl and green buckeye burl have no blades currently, however, the blades have been profiled and are ready to grind. If all goes as planned, and sometimes it does, I'll have these both ready for delivery by the beginning of next week (at the latest). I will sell them now if anyone is interested in claiming them. [​IMG]

On the pictures....please excuse the very poor quality. It's overcast today and this is the best I can get for now. I can assure you that all knives/handles shown appear much nicer in person. The handles in particular look so much better than shown here.

Price - $325 (each)
    *Note - I will not drop the pricing on these knives. I have already discounted them by $50 OFF

Shipping - Included in USA/International - will split cost with buyer

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Dave

P1010010.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010029.JPG P1010024.JPG P1010025.JPG P1010008.JPG

2. Dave Martell

SOLD - #1 - Dyed (light blue) bird's eye maple with African blackwood ferrule

3. Dave Martell

SOLD - #4 - Dyed (green) buckeye burl with African blackwood ferrule

4. Dave Martell

#3 - Dyed (brown) maple burl with African blackwood ferrule

Still available!
    [​IMG]

5. Dave Martell

6. Dave Martell

Shape - Octagonal (very straight, sort of a boxey style)
    The sycamore has a lot of movement in the figuring, simple, very classy looking.

Dimensions - 15/20mm x 17/21mm

[​IMG]

I suppose that this handle is a little too unconventional in it's shape? Maybe you could like it better if it had a better price attached? Shoot me a PM and make me an offer. [​IMG]

7. Dave Martell