1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

24hr Maumasi Fire Arts Auction Starting Today @10am PST!!

Discussion in 'Maumasi Fire Arts' started by Mareko Maumasi, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Hi every body!

I am please to announce that I will be holding a benefit auction on my Maumasi Fire Arts Facebook Page, designed to benefit my friends and fellow knifemaker, Mastersmiths
    Adam and Haley DesRosiers (de-roh-zhers).
    12239864_605775456229826_3951069283023345978_n.jpg
    Adam and Haley posed with their doe, Katana.

On December 30, 2015 tragedy struck Adam and Haley DesRosiers as a routine day in the shop quickly transformed into a devastating blaze that not only claimed the entirety of their newly constructed shop, and two life times of acquires tools and supplies, but the lives of their sweet dutiful dogs. Haley and Adam narrowly escaped with their own lives.
    12744580_604313053042733_69958586917293340_n.jpg
    To honor them, their friendship, and their many contributions to the art and trade of Bladesmithing, I will be auctioning off a piece of my own work Monday, February 29th @ 10am, with all proceeds going to aid and support them as they work to pick up the pieces and rebuild their shop and their lives.

In response to their terrible loss I have built a very unique chef's knife to auction off.
    DesFullBlade.jpg
    This one of a kind chef's knife is the very first of it's kind to be offered by Maumasi Fire Arts. It has been forged from W2 high-carbon steel and features a forged integral bolster, recurve heel, and a honyaki differential heat-treatment, helping to create a stronger blade.
    DesBladeDetail.jpg
    What's very unique and a first for MFA in this knife is the handle construction. It is a "through-tang" construction which literally means the tang (the steel of the blade that is in the handle), goes all the way through and is fastened at the butt-cap with a monogrammed silicon bronze rivet.
    DesButtCap.jpg
    It takes a very high level of attention to detail to properly execute this design, so that when all is said and done, everything is aligned and centered perfectly. This technique adds extra strength, balance, and security to the finished knife. Aesthetically, it allows the Buckeye Burl handle profilel to flow uninterrupted, accented solely by the silicon bronze spacers.
    DesHandleBelly.jpg
    Handle belly.
    DesHandleSpine.jpg
    Handle spine.
    DesHandleRight.jpg
    Handle's right profile.
    DesHandleLeft.jpg
    Handles left profile.

Again, this custom handmade chef's knife is going up for auction today, Monday, February 29th @10am until Tuesday, March 1st @10am. This is a 24 hour auction and it will be held on the Maumasi Fire Arts Facebook Page.

Rules for the auction will be outlined on the official auction post over on Facebook.

Please help spread the word and share this event, to help raise as much money as possible for the DesRosiers. Thank you all for your time and for looking.
    Kindest regards,
    Mareko Maumasi​

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

One BAK!!! Good luck with the auction. :like

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Wow, I remember meeting them a few years ago at the knife show in Seattle. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of everything, especially the dog. I have no idea how much pain, suffering, and confusion there is in trying to move forward. Very stand up thing to do! Love the knife! Good luck with the auction!