1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

218mm Niolox Gyuto, ringed gidgee and 416ss handle.

Discussion in 'Tristone Bladesmithing' started by Chadd Smith, Jan 6, 2016.

1. G'day,

Below is a clients, (who also became a friend in the process) gyuto, he has been ever so patiently waiting for over the last few months. Fortunately for me we have both enjoyed the learning experience in regards to trying new techniques, and finishes which have been discussed via skype, instagram and over forty emails back and forth with many pictures drawn. I'm not quite sure who learnt the most :p

It has been a challenge, mainly due to my willingness to try anything the client and now friend asked of me to try, which I feel was also a challenge for my friend due to trying to not "throw the kitchen sink at it" and fit everything into the one knife :D

Numerous attempts on these variables, and my inability to let something leave the shop in a condition or with a finish that I could not be proud of and that I did not feel was worthy of my friends respect and finance in his first custom knife. To that end, it took me four tries to make the front SS cap with satisfactory fit and finish to the tang, which was the major hurdle in the process and a source of much anxiety. This was made all the more enjoyable as the tang slot was not rectangular and was slightly trapezoid in shape.

Now I am happy to say I have a knife that I am proud of, and I hope my friend is also happy to receive and feels is worth his coin.

218mm, Niolox blade at 62/63HRC, right hand asymmetric grind.
    800grit satin finish.
    Right handed Ringed gidgee and 416 D shaped handle.

I still have the Saya to make, which will be another maiden voyage. I'll update this thread as I go, wish me luck!

Also a special shout out to Mert Tansu for bugging me enough to take photos with a dark background. Without his support and advice this blade may not have been the same.

Enjoy the photos,

Chadd.

20160106_202213.jpg 20160106_202220.jpg 20160106_202517.jpg 20160106_202548.jpg 20160106_202657.jpg 20160106_203315.jpg 20160106_203454.jpg 20160106_203508.jpg 20160106_203634.jpg 20160106_203745.jpg

2. Beautiful work!! Congrats :)

3. Looks very nice indeed!

4. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

You know my thoughts on that one but I will say it again in public " it's damn good "

5. That handle looks first class

6. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Frickin' AWESOME!!! :cool1

7. Thanks gents! I'm very happy with this. It was actually 228mm blade length* not 218mm.

Regards,

Chadd

8. This is my first custom order and Chadd has been truly amazing to work with.

I would reiterate what has already been said in that I have learned a lot about knives and knife making and made a true friend!

Really excited to add this knife to the collection and cannot recommend Chadd enough!!! =)

9. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Wow, that's a beauty!

10. Chadd, part me is hoping that your pass around knife is a dud. Because along with the pics of this knife, if it isn't i don't know if my marriage can survive me adding another knife to my 2016 list.

11. Alex,
    I'd better skip you on the pass around then!
    Maybe I could get to keep it just a little longer in that case ;)

12. I'm really hoping it is not a dud, I'd have to quit being a knife maker as I thought the passaround knife was pretty good lol

I hope she is serving you well Kev! Im anxious to hear your thoughts :)

13. Really impressed so far, need to use it a bit more.

14. Haha. Nah I'll take the risk with the wife.

15. Haha. I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Just wishful thinking on behalf of my bank account's behalf.

16. That bolster is ridiculous. Well done man. Knife is looking good...

17. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Frickin' awesome!

18. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Really nice,the bolster is very cool

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Very pleasing to my eye.