1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Garden - Starting Early

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Burl Source, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Oh no! I'll refrain from posting photos of the tomatoes I've gotten this year....

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

The worst part was eating it. Being raised with manners, I offered to share it with Mr. Lucretia. Since he was raised with no manners, he accepted. I got 1/2 a cherry tomato with lunch today. It was really good, though.

3. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Where are you at Toothpick? Your garden looks great.
    Here in Oregon the cherry tomatoes are just getting started ripening and the full size still have a while before they start to color.

4. Toothpick

Middle Tennessee. Near Nashville. We got a long growing season. I think we started in late March early April. Can probably go all the way to October.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

all the onions are out the ground have hade 2 batches of beets canned lots of greenbeens frozen one zuke died the other is now putting out blosom rotten starts ;( mators filling out carrots and peppers are doing well.

6. Burl Source

Jason, around here the vegetable garden season starts about June 1st and goes through October.
    Butch, Did you try any San Marzano tomatoes? Mine have healthy plants but seem to be setting fruit slower than the others.

7. butch

butch Founding Member

no not this year maybe next we stuck with proven burpee romas. took note also that the zukes are having a few fails to grow properr fruits somoething is amiss in the gardden.

8. butch

butch Founding Member

update squash bugs killed both zuks buty not before i got 9 LB of zuke that i turned into relish (replanted 3 and now the race is on till the first frost to see if i get any)
    taters sucked was waste of water to dig them out the other hot day i ll say less then 30Lb from 15 plants. maters are full of blossom rot (trouble shooting that issue with epson salt and a folliant
    to the good more onions and detroit reds (beets) then i know what to do with time will tell about the carrots and dill

9. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Has anyone tried a fall crop of peas? My spring crop was pretty good and I have some set aside as seed.

10. butch

butch Founding Member

i did last year but hardly any yield i think i timmed it wrong or had them placed at the wrong spot in the garden. pulled all my garlic yesterday and onion magots got into some of it might have to can it instead of just dring it
    3 new planted zukes look to be doiong well but its a race ageanst time in hopes to get even a few
    will be working on collecting seeds from lettuces might replant for fall crop. on that note late crop of dill is also comming along

11. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

12. Toothpick

The garden here is pretty well done. Started tearing out tomato plants. Cucumbers are long gone. Pepper plants are still going strong.

Watermelon....that's another story. It's completely taken over the back patio. 7 BIG watermelons on the vine too. Wont be to much longer and we'll be face deep in watermelon rinds

13. Toothpick

14. Burl Source

Like Butch I had trouble with blossom end rot this year. The Romas got it the worst. But still under 10% loss.
    The big tomatoes are ripening now as well as cucumbers. Tomorrow I will have a table to sell some at the local farmers market.

15. Toothpick

Does anyone have a go to website for all things garden related?

I'm looking to do a bigger garden next year with corn and green beans added and was trying to find some tips & tricks but there are literally hundreds of websites. So do ya'll have any preferred websites for gardening?

16. butch

butch Founding Member

jsut a heads up you cant do a small corn crop for it to work well goingto have to be at least 6x12 feet of rows
    i dont have a go to site

17. Toothpick

Who said anything about a small corn crop? :p

Perhaps I should have said it like this....I plan on doing a BIGGER garden next year. :j

18. Toothpick

19. butch

butch Founding Member

sinc a good bit of my garlic had split due to wet weather we have made 1.5lb of garlic butter (should be just fine frozen for a good long time after the cubes are vac sealed )
    will be nice and easy to grab one or 2 to make garlic bread when need be

20. Burl Source

We had a heat wave over 100f for more than a week. My tomatoes survived but I lost a lot of the immature fruit. A local farm / roadside produce stand lost most of their tomato crop so they have been buying as many tomatoes that I will sell them. I still need to stock up my freezer so I will be keeping the next couple weeks harvest for myself.

I am trying to put together a high tunnel to over winter some tomatoes as well as grow carrots and lettuce this fall.