1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

2014 East Coast Gathering (ECG)

Discussion in 'Get togethers, Tastings, Restaurant Openings, Etc' started by mano, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Jim,
    If you have a killer coleslaw recipe, send it my way. Otherwise I'll use a standard recipe.

That butt looks great! What model smoker is that?

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Jim

4. Jim

5. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Hey, you got anything low fat and gluten-free? :D Just kidding, have fun, everyone!

Stefan

P.S. Does anybody happen to know what's going on with Dave?

6. Jim

7. On my way, see you guys in about 2 1/2 hours ( 2:00 ish)

8. Jim

9. That Eamon Burke-Catchside DT Utility knife is definitely catching my eyes.

10. Thanks again to Craig and Debbie our gracious hosts today. Another very enjoyable event. Here are a couple pics from the LN2 Ice Cream experiment. Thanks Butch for bring the Liquid Nitrogen for our taste experiment. -Doug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

I said no! :p

12. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Thanks again to Craig and his wife for hosting us. We had great weather, and some really good BBQ and wings, plus linzertorte a la mode. My norhter-in-law really, really fell for Butch's line knife, but could not risk it because my sister or niece would likely mess it up. So I'll be keeping my eyes out now for one in CPM154 or XHP.

Myron had some beautiful blocks, and there were a lot of cool knives around to ogle, especially Niloc's treasure trove.

13. I know... I know... :(

14. butch

butch Founding Member

just got back home. good time as always and thank everyone for being there. and david kept tabs on my fingers to see if i froze any off. now i need to let the 3 containers of icecream thaw out (they are in my LN tank at -300 right now so in a day or 2 i can share with my soon to be wife

15. Great time! After all these years I'm glad I was finally able to attend one of these, thanks Craig for having us. I'm home now wondering if you went to sleep thinking you wake up tomorrow to find Rick & I still camping out on your patio...& thanks Rick for bringing that tuna, boy that was a monster.... Hope we didn't do much of a mess to clean up (;

16. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Thanks to Craig and Debbie for hosting this again. It's always good to meet the people behind the avatars. As usual, some amazing knives and food to be enjoyed by all. Even though the traffic getting home was a bear, when my wife asked if I was was glad I went there was no hesitation in my resounding YES!

17. Thanks to everyone who came to this year's ECG. The turnout was a bit light but it was nice to see some new forum members and some non-forum friends and family.

Burl Source is hitting his stride with some highly figured blocks of wood I've never heard of before. Butch, as usual, brought some great knives and liquid nitrogen he and Doug Seward used to make soft-serve ice cream. mingooch is quickly building up his hoard of 270 custom-handled gyuto's and Seth is still the Shig king. Chef Niloc arrived late and stayed late with his Beatty cleavers, knife belts and some of the amazing knives he's posted here.

Food-wise, Jim made some excellent pulled pork. Doug's traditional linzer tort was excellent, as were mingooch's wings.

Theory arrived close to 7:00, when everyone was either gone or packing up. He and Niloc hung out, ate pulled pork sandwiches and yammered on about knives and the resto biz until about 9:30. I think my son, Ben -who woke up at 2:00 p.m- sat with them, but I was done in after starting to set up at 8:00 a.m.

My wife, Debi, was a great help and host, especially considering she couldn't care less about knives. I'm a lucky guy.

mingooch/Chris said he'd be hosting it next year at Sandy Hook NJ. I'll see you all there.

18. Jim

Thanks again Craig for your hospitality and opening your home to the knuts!

19. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

This thread is useless without more pics.

20. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Belated (on this website, as distinguished from KKF) thanks to Craig and Debbie for generously hosting a wonderful event (my first ECG). Especially loved the beautiful pieces of workmanship that Butch brought along, as well as the fascinating assortment of knives, etc. that Colin showed. My biggest regret was not realizing that Rick would arrive so late, and as a result I must have left within a half hour of his arrival (with, if rumors are true, an enormous tuna that he and Colin proceeded to expertly slice up completely in 3 minutes and 25 seconds, into perfect portions of sashimi plus tuna steaks, etc. -- all using two dull old carbon knives that Rick had stopped to pick up at a flea market on the way to the ECG and then sharpened in a couple of minutes, giving them razor edges, using only Craig's paving stones and an old newspaper.)

Also special thanks to the great food (and conversation) provided by Jim (great pulled pork), Doug (perhaps needless to say, I never saw ice cream prepared like that, and dessert was delicious) and Mingooch (tasty wings). And my apologies to whomever I unintentionally omitted.

If only I could now remember to regularly troll the somewhat parallel universes of Kitchen Knife Fora and Forum.

Larry