1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

1 on 1 Sharpening Class

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Recently, within the last month, I've had the opportunity to host two 1 on 1 sharpening classes here in my shop. I haven't done a lot of these since moving a few years ago and I had forgot how nice it is to meet with like minded people and share some knife geek time. What was even nicer than all that was how rewarding both experiences were in how each student progressed and achieved success. Each had their own issues that were holding them back and we were able to get passed them by identification and solutions. I received nice follow up emails from each student, here's a few snippets...

I realize that it's a great expense in time and money to travel out here to PA for a sharpening class so it's obvious that this is out of reach for most, but none the less, I want you to know that I'm available for classes if you're ever in the neighborhood. PM me for details. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Dave

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I would have to add my 2 cents to how much fun your classes are Dave, as well as how comprehensive your presentation is.
    Taking your class brought my skills to a new level and changed the way I looked at the proccess completely

Well worth the effort to attend.

3. Dave Martell

It's always my pleasure spending time with you Jim. Thanks for your 2 cents :)

4. Dave Martell

5. Dave Martell

Right now I'm in the middle of a large multiple knife job that's all Japanese single bevels. While working I'm thinking about how different I do things now compared to years ago, how much more efficient I am, and how I get such better results today. This then got me thinking about what I could show people that's different from what I may have shown in the past, this is especially true with regards to single bevel knives.

If you're a new user of single bevel knives, and struggle with sharpening them, I can offer you a straight path past all the learning curve, associated costs of trial and error, & how to negotiate around all the BS encountered from going your own way.

If you're a seasoned single bevel sharpener, or even someone who has taken a class from me in the past, I know that there's tricks and tips that I can share to make your maintenance easier.

Maybe you hate that first initial sharpening where you have to choose between going all in to flatten the bevel or live with the ugly forever as you work it flat over time?

Maybe you want a beautiful kasumi finish but don't want to spend thousands on natural stones?

Maybe you just want to learn how to sharpen these knives, maybe you struggle with the basics?

These are all things that are easy for me to teach and share as I've tackled them all over time. Wherever your skill level may currently be I know that I can push you up to the next level.

As I mentioned before in this thread, I've been enjoying doing classes and hope to be able to do more. Please feel free to reach out to me if you should have any questions.

Thanks for your time,
    Dave

https://martellknives.com/products/japanese-knife-sharpening-class

6. Dave Martell

7. Dave Martell