1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Yo to Wa Conversion - Misono Dragon

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Besides our normal sharpening service and making custom knives we also do all sorts of upgrades & reconfiguration work as well. One such example is this Misono Swedish Steel (carbon) Dragon Sujihiki that we converted from a western handle to a wa handle.

The handle we installed is HI Cook Pine & streaked buffalo made by Stefan Keller

[​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

A classic carbon steel knife made even better. Nice!

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow nice Job, I love the simple wood handles of the Wa, and that grain is just enough to really work that is incredible

4. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Nicely done. Simple elegance that so ofter gets overlooked.

I may have found my next knife to order- a couple of months after the last knives I ordered show up.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Dave
    Those are really beautifuly executed. I'll show some ignorance here (my speciality). On the original, is the bolster part of the original blade steel or is it added? to make your conversion is it ground off or driven off? Is the resultant neck area a little thicker than the spine of the original knife?

In any case, they look much better with the wa.

6. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

The bolsters are welded on so they needed to be ground off and then this section blended in with the blade face to make it appear as though they were never there. From the spine you won't see any difference but from the blade face(s) you can see a slight discoloration from the welding process that remains.