1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Yanagi Suji - WIP

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Recently someone did me a huge favor here on the forum and so I offered to make a custom knife in appreciation.
    Said person asked about a wide bevel knife and after some discussion we settled on something new for me, and a little different from most J-knives you see.
    This is perhaps a Yanagi, although not to normal length, and a bit taller at the heel than you might expect.
    Suji? Well, many consider a proper suji as being a standard double bevel grind, although there is some room to consider a single bevel in this style.
    The goal is a boneless protein slicer, but very functional with most veggies as well.
    It is going to end up with a very thin tip due to the single bevel grind, so a push cutter at the tip, gently I think, and a real slicer to boot.
    I have to say I am a bit excited by the challenge and the vision of this knife in completed form.
    I like the idea so much I am going to make 3. One will end up being available most likely.

Dimensions are 240 x 40 mm, wa handled in 52100 @63 Rockwell.

Grind will be wide bevel in two steps, with urasuki on the back.
    Spine will be approximately 3.3mm above the heel with slight taper to tip.

I appreciate any comments anyone cares to chime in with. This is a new one for me.

[​IMG]

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. What he said. Sounds cool.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. I got a present from Peters HT today. 3 of the suji/yanagi blanks that will be ground single bevel with urasuki. I'm excited about these.
    I'm also starting to really like the Nakiri's. These at 200mm. I'll be keeping one of each of these two styles for my own collection. :argo

[​IMG]

5. Just getting into the hand sanding, but this one is taking shape.
    I wasn't able to get the grind on this one that I wanted, which was a single bevel with two facets. The curve of the blade made it very difficult to walk that road.
    What I ended up doing was a Ura on the back, and a hollow on the front as well above the blade road. Very shallow each, so the blade is not too thin. The spine is also quite hefty, so the blade is stiff.
    Anyway, I am pretty pleased with the results, and would be interested to hear others thoughts on the geometry.
    This is seeming more and more like a short but wicked Yanagiba.
    It will take the skin off your fingers if you just look at it disrespectfully, and that's at 400 grit stone.
    5000 grit is going to be quite a challenging, keeping the stone from turning red. ;)

Without further ado, rough hand sanding almost done...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Coming along nicely, Mark. Make sure you keep all your digits firmly attached where they belong.

7. it seems like that ura came out pretty clean.

8. OK, so I took this back to the grinder a bit, and just couldn't wait to test it out. Yes, this is still very rough.
    Ran it over a Shapton 1000 and shot this short video.
    Comments appreciated.

9. I think it looks awesome so far! Cool design with the s-grind right side and left side ura...

10. Thanks MB. The way the potato chips just fall off the blade, very educational. :)

11. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor