1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine grapes

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

A buddy of mine is starting to make his own wine. I told him I would check with the brain trust at KKFora for sources of grapes local to the NYC area like the Hudson valley, long Island, jersey are all possible day trips to pick up some grapes.
    So what do you have?

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. butch

butch Founding Member

kelly and i have thought really hard about puttign few vines in. it fits the rest of our yard as jsut abotu every thing is food. im looking for a god place to put safron

4. Long Island has several wineries, some with quite a following. Bedell and Pellegrini stand out in my mind. I would bet there is a growers collective, or association of some sort for Long Island that would be a good place to start.

5. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Olsens and Kunz on Long Island have some options. You can mail order from Starks. They have a decent selection of zone appropriate vine stock and offer replacement .

6. Jim

My buddy is looking for just grapes not vine stock, sorry if I mis-stated that guys.

7. Jim

8. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Try winemakersny.com or contact Long Island Wine council for a list of vineyards selling grapes or juice. Jamesport Vineyards had some awesome stuff available last year. Worth looking into.

9. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I know a a couple home wine makers that buy nice juice and make nice wine. They said the nicer juice is wear it is at! And they don't need a press ;)

10. Jim

11. eightysixCJ

eightysixCJ Founding Member

Thanks all. I found Corrado's, awesome place and got some equipment there. Looking forward checking them out during harvest time. I wasn't thinking of the LI vineyards, that's a great idea.

At some point my dad want to plant some vines at his house in the Catskills. His neighbors planted a few rows and managed about 6 gallons of juice last fall.

Tom

12. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

NY has 5 AVAs (question on Som test) He might want to do some research. Grapes while maybe the same variety will probly be totally different in different regions. I heard they make Eiswein in the finger lakes... but you'd probly have to murder someone to get a hold of those grapes. OH and globe grapes don't work well LOL it will make alcohol but negative body. yeah that was a long time ago and I didn't know squat.