1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes a nonstick laser?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by XooMG, Mar 1, 2014.

1. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm a home cook and tend to go slow and precise and tend to like thinner, lighter, shorter knives for most of my stuff. However, the common disadvantage that many seem to be aware of is stiction with hollow and flat grinds, and a few of my thin knives can be food magnets on dense targets like raw carrots.

My Takeda nakiri has a cross-section that seems to help with food release, and a Zakuri knife that I did some bevel work on is doing an impressive job, so I know it's possible. Convexity seems to be a common strategy, and an abrupt angle change that forms a shinogi might help.

Who does a sweet thinner blade (santoku or gyuto, 165-240) that nails the balance between wedging and sticking?

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Mario, from what I've seen.

3. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

I would say Tilman/Rottman does a great job in getting good food release from laser geometry.

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've read that but usually the comments come from the same few folks. Mario's not as accessible it seems, and I've gotten in touch with Tilman about a possible project in the future...just not 100% sure I can commit to it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

5. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Not sure why, but the word laser made me think lightsaber this morning. It's not productive and I apologize. But I'm sticking with it. :D

Lightsaber.

6. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

True. Tilman is SO easy to work with. You will not be disappointed.

7. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Tilman rocks. And he is great to work with. Tilman and takeda are the 2 thinnest knives ive worked with that also offer good food release. Takedas concavity and super asymmetric bevels and asymmetric grind is the main reason its good for food release. Tilman will create a highly convexed edge on just one side of the blade to help food release.

8. smith

smith Founding Member