1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with a broken tang

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by chefcomesback, Jun 17, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

And usually around 160-190mm

2. I've always looked at santoku as bull nosed short gyuto, rather than as a blade with a separate edge profile. More of a difference in the spine profile versus a lower tip etc.

3. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

There are many opinions and the term is a little nebulous. The basic concept is a hybrid of nakiri and gyuto, so there are many ways that can manifest.

4. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

santoku = little girl knife. i dont think this one classifies. its a beauty!

5. chefcomesback

Thanks Brad

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. chefcomesback

Thanks Jim

8. schanop

schanop Founding Member

This Tansu Santoku came pass my house for a couple of weeks. Mert did a good job on this little knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. chefcomesback

I am happy you liked it Chanop , thank you

10. Oh, I missed that thread somehow. Love the look of that knife. Thought I wouldn't call it Santoku ( to me santoku is something with very little belly, lots of height and bullnose tip).

11. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Much more functional tip than a santoku. Sweet looking knife.

12. chefcomesback

Thanks Anton , it has been a while since I made that one , It was more like short but rather tall gyuto

13. butch

butch Founding Member

no mistakes just smaller knives ;) and lessons learned

14. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

BAK, brother Mert. :cool:

15. chefcomesback

Well said

16. chefcomesback

Thanks brother

17. Hey guys... I know this thread is very old but I just wanted to drop in (sign up) and say thanks for all the comments and tips on this subject.

I had a project where I broke the tang on a small kitchen knife and needed to do a repair. You can check out what I did here if you like: https://imgur.com/gallery/EfLF4

It's not a pretty finish, but the knife is serviceable and I learned a heck of a lot doing it.

Thanks again!!!

18. I missed this thread too. I learned about stress risers the hard way too. My belt cut in on the tang on both sides just a tiny bit. I was able to snap it off with just my fingers. That was quite surprising and a good learning experience.