1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What stone do you guys use for chip repairs?

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by WarrenB, Nov 17, 2014.

1. I am looking at getting a coarse stone or diamond plate for doing repairs on my knives, what do you guys use? I use my 1k for small shallow chips but need something to get any big chips out quicker. I was thinking maybe a DMT or Atoma diamond plate or something similar as I could use it for flattening my stones as well, any thoughts?

2. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I have dmt xxc , leaves uneven and deep scratches , everyone's advice was to get an atoma if I can afford it

3. I don't hope ever to encounter chips I can't remove with a Chosera 800. By the way, wisdom would be not to remove the entire blemish at once. In most cases however I'm not that wise.

4. If big repair or heavy thinning is needed I use P120 automotive sandpaper on linen, and a few higher grids. Edge trailing only, beware of overgrinding.

5. Thanks guys, sounds like I need to do some more research on doing deep chip repairs as well. Might go for an Atoma as I need something for stone flattening and am getting fed up with the automotive paper on glass method I use now.
    What grit would you recommend for stone flattening and maybe for some heavy metal removal? I see a lot of people go 140 but would you say a 400 will work well but just take a little longer?

6. I will not just take longer, it will wear out your 400.

7. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I think this is about a 5 grit :)

[​IMG]

Did a pretty good job of removing lots of steel quickly:

[​IMG]

8. Think 5 grit is about right for that! I did read that some people use concrete paving slabs to flatten their stones on, apparently they are extremely flat and do a good job

9. zwiefel

Just a cinderblock from the front yard....pretty cheap, and about 8" thick, 8" wide, and 12" long...I doubt you'll fine anything with those dimensions from our fine vendors! :jump

10. Shipping to the UK would be a killer as well:D

11. zwiefel

well, I do believe I used the word, "thick." ;)

12. Kim Bronnum

Kim Bronnum Founding Member

I havn´t been involved with a knife like the one you show, Z, but for more "modest" chips I use a JNS 300. Its splash´n go, it cuts fast and leaves scratches that are fairly easily removed afterwards. I have an Atoma 140 but I can´t make myself use it on knives. I did try once - for one minute. It feels similar to what I would suppose the cinderblock treatment would feel like...

13. zwiefel

Yeah, that was pretty extreme. a 300 would be adequate for more modest chipping. I've have use a 120 diamond plate on a couple of knives...and yes, not terribly different from the cinderblock :)

14. How did that even get that chipped!?! Kitchen sword-fighting?

15. zwiefel

not sure, a friend brought it to me having assumed it was unfixable. I suspect she has a marble/glass/etc. cutting board and/or was rather abusive...maybe opened a can with it.

16. Ha ha! It looks like she tried to chop her "sharpening steel" with it.

17. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I have and have used a DMT XXC for some years. Where did that argument of random deep scratches comes from? I always start polishing single bevel I see for the first time with a flattening on diamond plate. The bevel which is flat lengthwise, without dips and highs, are much easier to polish.

OP, how big is a big chip for you? Sometimes raising the edge might not be such a huge deal, but thinning the sides yeah. Some stainless clad knives would give you hard time when thinning with diamond plate. What happens is some kind of rubbish falls off of the lamination line and gets under the plate, doing damage The you get huge scratches, and anyway polishing stainless is just a bad experience, imho.

So depending on what you are going to thin, I would say diamond is pretty useful, but coarse stone will leave scratches which are much easier to deal with.
    Anyway chipping happens at home or is that working horses?

18. Thanks for the input guys.
    I have repaired the chip on my Tanaka Petty, it was pretty a big chip at around 4mm x 3mm, it hit the rim of a stainless steel mug edge first! I used my 1000 stone as it is the lowest grit I currently own, it took a long time and dished it quite a bit, maybe a good low grit stone will suit me best for this purpose and maybe a diamond for stone flattening rather trying to get one thing to do both jobs.