1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite variety of apple to eat?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by mr drinky, Oct 13, 2014.

1. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

This year it's been a new (to me) variety called Crimson Crisp. Quite the treat, but my standbys are Stayman Winesaps, Arkansas Black Twigs and Royal Limbertwigs...of what you can find in the stores I enjoy Honey Crisp and Jonagold.
    Cheers

2. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

From another forum, I ran into this article from the New Yorker. It's a great read about the apple industry in the US. I particularly like the drama when the Honeycrisp parent tree responsible for all those apples we see today was almost cut down and trashed.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/11/21/crunch

k.

3. Tom

Tom Founding Member

Egremont Russet or a good Cox's Orange Pippin

4. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Macouns hands down, but they need to be fresh, really hard with just the right amount of tartness. Nothing better for me and the Hudson Valley has some really good ones. After that it's fujis and honey crisps.

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. Toothpick

7. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Have never seen them in Oz but i always remember when the season for Cox's Orange Pippins came in Scotland- best eating apple ever

8. Toothpick

9. Ambrosia are good, but we are blessed with Central Market who brings in great varieties.

Opal Gold
    Kiku
    Topaz

10. Toothpick

11. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Any apple straight off the tree after a long day of work is a good apple.