1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this grey brick?

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Jim, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

2. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I was going to say bleu cheese, but I'd trust Dave's answer more.

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Thanks Dave!
    A friend gave me an enormous old slicer that I was trying to sharpen up and this rock created a huge amount of swarf and did not seem to cut too efficiently. Is there a type of task it would preform more optimally on?

Thx

5. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I had a brief love affair with this stone and then we went through a bad break up, I'm glad it's over though. :D

The stone can cut crazy fast BUT ONLY if you stop every 5 seconds and flatten it. If you don't do the constant flattening it starts to dish faster and faster and then you start rounding over your edge and then the stone gets more dished and on and on until you're screaming at it. Really wide bevels that have a lot of surface area seem to be the best match for this stone.

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I found it worked well to remove scratches from a DMT XXC when thinning. I agree with Dave's assessment about having to flatten it frequently.