1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best way to clean a ceramic honing rod?

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by WarrenB, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Just need a bit of help finding a way to get a Kyocera honing rod/steel clean, yes I did use it to 'sharpen' my previous knives before I knew any better:eek:
    I am selling it and wanted to brighten it up, I have tried Bar Keepers Friend and that has cleaned it up a bit but not much better, is there any way of cleaning it or are the grey specks now somehow embedded in the ceramic?
    ceramic_01.JPG

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I use something similiar on mine. Use it to keep the patina off some knives as well.

3. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

4. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

For what it's worth, I'm a believer in ceramic rods.

5. I guess it's more user error for me because I am still learning to sharpen to a good level, having a ceramic 'steel' just added more variables to the whole process for me as it seemed a lot harder to keep angles consistent.

6. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

i use a 3m pad with a little soft scrub and water

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Understandable. I just find that I can really extend the use, and up the ease with which I do so, by gently running my edge along a ceramic rod. To be honest, I prefer how 52100 and AEB-L (to name a couple steels) perform off the rod than off anything above 2k.

8. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

+1 ...I use a ceramic rod a lot. Quick and easy.

9. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

I rarely use mine, but believe this to be the easiest way to clean one. I like the performance, but the look of the bevel annoys me.

10. I use a big pink pencil eraser. Works like a charm, every time.

11. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

3M green scrub pad, comet cleanser

12. Some coarse diamond lapping film will do the trick pretty quickly. You can use it wet so the ceramic powder doesn't load up the spaces between the diamonds. I'd suggest doing it under running water. Just wrap the lapping film around the rod and polish it lengthwise.

13. This. Works great.

However...I don't hone anymore, so there may be better methods that I haven't tried.

14. The pink eraser method definitely works. If the ceramic is really loaded, you can use a specialized abrasive eraser called the "Superaser" which goes a step further in cleaning. You can find them on Amazon for a couple of bucks.

15. ben

ben

Hmmm, has anyone ever tried dissolving the metal with a mild acid such a vinegar?

16. Soft scrub or scouring powder and a 3m sponge and a bit if warm water. Easy easy.