1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What Does Patina Look Like

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Mar 16, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I read a lot about patina building on a blade that will help it prevent rust, but I dont see a lot of pictures of what it looks like, specially in contrast to a clad blade where only the exposed carbon area will patina. I imagine most all you guys have blades with built up patina, mind sharing some pictures of them ?

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Well, you've got your naturally occuring patinas:

Blues2.jpg

MaumasiBlue.jpg

Then you have your forced patinas (these were done with mustard):

ShigMustard2.jpg

MarkoPatina2.jpg

3. James

Whoa that first and last one aee crazy looking... that effect would look great on a handle as a ring or two,

No wonder people like to cut the mustard

4. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

5. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

All natural......

[​IMG]

6. cclin

cclin Founding Member

natural blue patina
    20140316_155514.jpg

mustard forced patinas
    20130412_141537.jpg

7. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

like this

[​IMG]

8. James

So on my clad knives, this will only show up on the core steel just above the edge,... if so I think the Yuki will look kind of amazing once it happens. for the mustard trick (Just out of my own curiosity), do you just smear down some good old french's yeller goo and leave it for a bit and wash off ?

9. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

5-30 minutes depending on how dark you want it. Multiple coats can help. You can daub it on, you can use bubble wrap, you can use a paper towel... Lots o variations that a google search can probably show you different patterns.

Also it depends on what the cladding is. If it is stainless it will react little. If it is iron cladding you will get different results.

IMO natural patinas look better but that can depend on what you are cutting.

Be careful. Patina is a dirty word to some ;)

10. Legion

Legion Founding Member

Buy a couple of Old Hickory knives off amazon or wherever. First practice your knife edge building with them (I won't say honing, they need more than that), and then play with them to experiment with patina. They are cheap, but they can hone up quite well when you put some effort in.

I have one I keep in the kitchen of my share house, and it cuts just fine. But my nice knives stay hidden away so no one is tempted to use them to open packets, or cut oysters in half, and then throw them into the dishwasher.

11. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

done by my 15 year old daughter IMG_2441.JPG

12. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

another one on a Sugimoto carbon, well used

Attached Files:

13. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

14. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

and on a kramer Kramer patina.JPG

15. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

16. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Noticed we don't have an official "show your patina" here yet. Thought about staying one but then thought that maybe This thread could be brought back as such.
    So here we go:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member