1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Rehandle Gallery

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

You are getting some amazing finishes on your wood these days Dave!

2. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

It's nice that you noticed. :)

I've been working on finishes for a couple of years now and I can say that until recently I've been just experimenting all this time. This is a very complex topic that I could write a short novel on, so many variables, it's crazy.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comment, I appreciate it a lot.

3. Dave Martell

Here we have 2 (previously wa) Shigefusa knives converted to western handles (without ass end hooks!).

Both used wood from the same blocks, Redheart Oregon Maple & Kingwood with copper accents.

P1010001.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010024.JPG

4. Dave Martell

This is a teeny-tiny Asai paring knife that's been converted from a MASSIVE wa handle to a more fitting sized western (without ass end hook!).

The handle is made from amboyna burl & buffalo horn.

*Please excuse the dust seen in the pictures. [​IMG]

P1010010.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG

5. The wood on that parer is stunning, love how you used the two tones over the whole length of the handle.

6. Dave Martell

Vintage Forgecraft

*Click on the picture below to see many more...
    [​IMG]

7. Dave Martell

Thank you! :)

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Beautiful work once again, Dave!

9. Dave Martell

It's your vision on these handles Lucretia, I'm merely the means to the end. :)

10. Dave Martell

Baddest Dragon in all of Canada!

Here's a MONSTER 360mm Misono Dragon Gyuto with it's new exhibition grade koa handle with copper pins....

P1010003.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010015.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010024.JPG

11. Dave Martell

Takamura western gyuto converted to a hybrid western/wa octagonal hidden tang handle! [​IMG]

These knives may not look like anything special in regards to rehandling them but I'm here to testify that they're SUPER challenging. The bolsters are angled, not square, and the tangs are whacked. Unless you want a crap fit up you pretty much have to go to hidden tang but that brings it's challenges too as the rear of the bolsters need to be flattened - ugh! I will be charging extra for these knives in the future. [​IMG]

I've got two more to do for this set but I finished this one through to completion to make sure that I had it dialed in. What do you think of it?

The wood used here is stabilized Norfolk Pine.

P1010003.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010018.JPG

12. Dave Martell

Here's the rest of the set of wa hybrid rehandled Takamuras....

Takamura_comparison2.jpg P1010008.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG P1010026.JPG

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Oh man....you knocked those out of the park. Love the transition from the oval bolster to the octagon rear.

14. Dave Martell

15. that suji tickles me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Dave Martell

Here's a Ryusen 110mm pairing/petty knife with a new handle made out of green dyed box elder burl. [​IMG]

The knife came with a really extra tiny little handle that I felt would have been hard to hold onto and keep from rolling in the hand. The tang was only a partial so instead of going hokey I went with a hidden tang conversion. I then swelled the body of the new handle out a bit to alleviate this small handle issue some. I played around with the feel until I felt it to be comfortable where the bolster is pinched and the handle disappears in the hand. It's still a small handle but it feels less so now.

The customer wanted a crazy green burl and I think this fills that requirement. [​IMG]

He's been waiting on this since October '16 (rehandle coupon) - I hope he's happy after all this time.

P1010001.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010019.JPG

17. Dave Martell

I just finished this job up, and what a job it was. I was tasked to fix any wrongs with the blades which meant hand sanding many of them, then sharpen, and finally to rehandle them all!

The handles were to match, the configuration selected by the customer. He went with exhibition grade koa and black buffalo horn with no spacers, classy.

The koa was a chore to acquire in this premium level and quantity but in the end we got it all from one single slab & had it stabilized.. The customer spared no expense on the wood and trust me it shows. [​IMG]

I was asked to make handles that fit the knives, no broomsticks allowed. Each handle was cut, drilled, and shaped specifically to each individual knife. A slower process than doing batch work but again the results say it was worth it. These handles actually came out so nice that I'm surprised that I did them. [​IMG]

The customer's got himself quite a collection, doesn't he? I hope that his new handles suit him well and thank him for the opportunity to work on such a large project. [​IMG]

P1010012.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010008.JPG

18. MattS

MattS Founding Member

After seeing these I started saving for a Watanabe...now I will have to save more to get you to do a handle for it. Beautiful work. The simplicity of the handle really makes the koa pop.

19. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

20. Dave Martell