1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Rehandle Gallery

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 1, 2014.

1. That cleaver. wordless.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

4. Dave Martell

YO Takeda!

Here's something you don't see everyday, well never actually, it's a new style Takeda gyuto that's been converted to a western handle. [​IMG]

The wood used is untreated (unstabilized) rosewood burl paired with black buffalo horn. This is a rare case where I'll state that the pictures look better than real life does.

The wood, being extremely oily, would not take and hold onto any combination of oil (and even shellac as suggested by top woodworkers - to seal it) that I tried with it (and I tried dozens) so eventually I gave up and did what most knifemakers do and just buffed and waxed it. In person the color is a lot more brown (not very red at all like what the pictures show), the surface has high and low polished sections where the oil bleeds out at different rates, and is just not as (grain) filled as I normally do. If I could have got oil to stay put then I know the color would have been amazing but it wasn't to be. [​IMG]

You can likely tell that I'm not very happy with the results, I'm used to getting better, but I'm also not used to working with raw oily wood like this either so maybe some of the results can be contributed to myself. I think the handle is nice, is stable, and will serve the customer well however I dislike that the customer now has to deal with waxing his handle as upkeep and that the quality isn't what I usually provide. I will no longer use this wood unless stabilized (and well seasoned) and even then maybe not.

With all that said, I do appreciate the customer tasking me with (and supplying) this wood though as it gave me a chance to try it out and see what I could do with it, I just hope that he likes it. [​IMG]

P1010002.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010020.JPG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I think its beautiful. Nothing can be done with natural products to force them to act like we want, that is part of the beauty. We just have to accept them for what they are. I would be stoked with that handle.

6. I agree. Its the issue with natural products. Hopefully in a couple of years it has stabalized and then can get a touch up and be "perfect as you wanted".

Apart from that it looks amazing.

7. Fr once, I do not like it that much. The quality of the work looks great, but I think this handle does not fit this knife. Purely a question of taste here. Some may like it, I do not.

8. Dave Martell

Thanks guys! :)

@ zetieum, I completely get it, thanks for being honest.

9. Dave Martell

Here's a few freshly completed rehandles.... [​IMG]

Hiromoto Damascus 210mm gyuto in blue/green dyed box elder burl

Hiromoto G3 240mm gyuto in green dyed box elder burl

Akifusa 190mm gyuto in natural box elder burl

P1010004.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010027.JPG P1010029.JPG

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Frickin' stunning, Dave!!! :D

11. Dave Martell

12. Wow that looks awesome! Is that bolster integral and original to the blade or do you add it on somehow?

13. Dave Martell

It was welded on by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

14. Dave Martell

Here's 2 Hiromoto AS knives that have been thinned, etched, and had new handles constructed. The 240mm gyuto's handle is made from maple burl while the 200mm gyuto is amboyna burl.

I can't say that I love the etching results, sort of weird and streaky with an unusual (and uneven) texture on the cladding. Hiromoto AS etching is always a surprise event. The overall package is nice though, and I'm sure they'll perform well.

P1010030.JPG P1010034.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010050.JPG P1010052.JPG P1010055.JPG

15. Ronnie Aloha

Ronnie Aloha Founding Member

I wonder how the 200 got those circles in the cladding. Nice work though!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

16. Dave Martell

Two more Hiromoto AS knives finished.... [​IMG]

The gyuto is rehandled in turquoise dyed box elder burl and the santoku in Czech maple burl.

P1010001.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010018.JPG

17. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

18. Dave Martell

19. Dave Martell

Here's a Kagayaki Gekido R2 Damascus 175mm Santoku with a new handle constructed of dyed box elder burl. [​IMG]

*Please excuse the poor picture quality. There was just too much cloud cover.

P1010004.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG P1010022.JPG

20. Dave Martell

Here's a Kohetsu AS gyuto with a new handle made from Arizona Ironwood Burl...

P1010003.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010016.JPG