1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Whamo

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Welcome @Whamo

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, Whamo. We are happy to have you as part of our community.

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

3. Hi everyone! I love food prep and slicing, and became the local knife sharpener in my neck of the woods when a kitchen store closed down, leaving me and everyone else in town with dull blades. I only sharpen part time (mostly farmers markets) on machines and am still relatively new to the business. I've enjoyed the site so far!

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Howdy Whamo

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Welcome! What machines do you use? Any interest in learning to sherpen wirh stones?

7. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

8. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Welcome to the Fora!

9. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Welcome. Glad to have you aboard. (By machines you mean belt sanders....and not Chefs Choice.....right?)(enter nervous laughter)

10. I use a Tormek, paper wheels, and a Veil belt sander, with a Spyderco sharpmaker for serrateds (though I'd love a faster way). I'm sharpening in while-they-wait situations, so stones are too slow. Also sharpening scissors on a Wolff Twice-As-Sharp and yard tools with the Veil.

I was exclusively using the Tormek wet wheel and paper wheels for knives, but lately have taken on some restaurant clients and their knives are so terribly dull that I started using the belt sander and I really love the job it does, especially with some of the higher grit belts. I do the 'stropping' of sorts on the paper wheel.

The knife thinning threads are what brought me to your site. I'm on other lists and trained with Steve Bottorff, and none of them really mention 'thinning,' which is definitely a need these restaurant knives (and my own personal knives that have been sharpened a hundred times by me) have. I appreciate all the information here!

I am interested in getting some skill with hand sharpening for those really high end knives that should not be put on machines.

11. Welcome!

12. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Glad you found us Whamo, hope we can get you the information that you need. Welcome to Fora