1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Neill

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Welcome @Neill

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, Neill. We are happy to have you as part of our community.
    Why not start by telling us something about yourself!

2. Neill is from Belfast Maine. This is a great looking Forum.I have been a happy window cleaning business for 33 years. Many years ago my wife detected in my family (at a reunion), a genetic defect she identified as 'blade lust'. I can foresee the day when setting and climbing ladders will be awkward, difficult, ye dangerous, so for 7 years have been sharpening blades for friends, and professionally for three years. Specialize in free hand sharpening on stones. I am scheming to blow this up into a full-scale, fabulously profitable business. Even if only mildly remunerative, I'll do it because I LOVE it, and can donate services to worthy non-profits. Really enjoy rehabbing old abused carbon knives into 'well-loved heirlooms'.
    Question; another sharpener confirmed my view that Shun knives disproportionately suffer edge chipping -- is true? Is the core steel too hard and thin?

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Welcome to the KKFora! I'm happy you joined up.

I can't answer your questions because I'm just not sure. Someone will chime in shortly I'm sure.

Otherwise feel free to start a thread over in our Sharpening Forum

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Welcome, Neill!

Regarding the edge chipping of Shun knives, the issue is not that the core steel is in any way sub-standard, but that many users of Shun knives have stepped up from soft stainless like Wüsthof and Henckels and use them in the same manner - rocking and walking the blade across the board - that almost guarantees that the edge on the Shun will be damaged. I have owned several Shun knives over the years, and none of them chipped in my use. If you come across a Shun with chips in your sharpening business, you might consider finishing it with a microbevel to strengthen the edge to absorb some abuse.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Welcome Neill!\

Is Kai related to Shun? I've a Kai Nakiri that has never had a problem.

6. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Welcome to the Fora, Neill!

7. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Welcome to the Fora!

8. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

9. Thanks for all the welcomes, and the comments on the Shun (aka Kai-Shun?). The micro-bevel is what I did for my customer.

10. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

welcome to Fora Neill