1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Capt. Spaulding

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Welcome @Capt. Spaulding

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, Capt. Spaulding. We are happy to have you as part of our community.
    Why not start by telling us something about yourself!

2. Fresh meat here. :D

I have been on a few select forums for years now. All based around knives of some sort. Mainly folders, Swiss Army Knives, and multitools. I love all knives including kitchen knives so it is strange I have never joined a forum aimed more towards kitchen knives, but here I am finally. I love to cook and given my love of knives naturally I want excellent knives in the kitchen. I do not have the highest budget at the moment but I do intend to save, sell, trade my way into something real nice soon enough. Problem is I am not well versed enough in higher end kitchen (specifically Japanese) knives as I would like to be. I however am very well versed in basically all other knives and multi tools so hopefully we can exchange information and make everyone happy. :D

I know knife guys like myself like a list of sharp things from the newbies and I assume you guys do to so here it is. As far as kitchen knives go here is what we are looking at. Not going to get into specific models right now but will later once I have more time.

Victorinox
    Mercer
    Kershaw
    Shun
    Spyderco
    Al-Mar

Now I know these are better quality kitchen knives than your standard household probably has but laughable at best for the high end kitchen knife user/collector. It's what my budget will allow at the moment, but again I am looking to educate myself and make a higher end purchase. Anyways, thank you for having me and I will probably have tons of questions so I hope you don't mind.

3. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Welcome to the Fora! It's good to have you here.

4. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Welcome! And, based on your specific needs and desires -- and budget -- you should be able to get a lot of helpful guidance. And -- just a guess -- the recommendations are unlikely to include any makers you have listed. (Well, maybe one of them.)

5. What would you recommend for a Japanese style knife in the $200 - $250 range? Any style welcome, but mainly for vegetable prep.

A few requirements. I love the Japanese style handles. D shaped or (don't know what you call it), but "square" shaped handle.

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Will do. Thank you.

8. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Welcome aboard!