1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Aaron Munn

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Welcome @Aaron Munn

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, Aaron Munn. We are happy to have you as part of our community.
    Why not start by telling us something about yourself!

2. I have posted a few times at the other knife forum, but I'm finding it to be a really elitist place so I'd like to find another forum to ask questions.

I cook mostly Asian food because I can't eat wheat or dairy (an acquired food intolerance). So recently I decided to try to get back my cooking skills because its difficult for me to eat out away from home, and living off prepared foods is not so cheap when having special dietary needs (the cost of gluten-free bread is horrible, but I still buy some). So I do a lot of vegetable chopping, mostly cooking the vegetables in crock pots, double-boiler steamers, or nonstick woks. Not a lot of dicing or mincing, mostly just the standard push-cut, and occasionally slicing of meat

I have a few kitchen knives and I'm the cook at home. All I have are cheap knives and hand-me-downs. A few carbon steel Forgecrafts that could stand to be sharper. A Kiwi that's shaped similar to a nakiri, a Faberware santoku that doesn't cut OK but is an ok meat slicer, and a Tramontina santoku I've only used a little. I have a small collection of stones (2 combination Chinese rough stones, one King #1000 and one Japanese #3000) and I'd like to learn freehand sharpening, but I'm worried about ruining knives. I also have a few basic pull-through sharpeners, and two strops. I've recently become interested in learning to expand my use of strops, as they seem cheaper than stones.

I've been practicing sharpening the Faberware santoku- mostly by thinning it. And I've been experimenting with stropping the Forgecraft knives (it seems to be working but progress is quite slow, but I get some feedback by looking at how the patina and rust are worn away).

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Welcome Aaron.

For sharpening exploration on your own, I would suggest you pick one knife and decide to "not worry" about ruining it. Go to town, don't worry about a too low angle, raise a burr, center and polish, strop away remaining burr.

Once you get one knife really sharp I think you'll feel much more confident going forward.

5. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Welcome to the Fora, Aaron! [​IMG]

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

7. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

8. Welcome to the family

9. Welcome Aaron :)

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Welcome Aaron
    You have come to the right place.

11. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Welcome Aaron , I highly recommend Jon's ( JKI ) sharpening videos on you tube

12. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

welcome to Fora, hour we can help you out

13. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Welcome to the Fora!
    Nice intro...you definitely picked the right forum. Great folks here!

14. Welcome! We've already spoken on other threads...but I figured an official welcome wouldn't hurt lol.

I definitely agree with Mert here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpgJbCAVxzDHKaKYeuGYyOA

Jon's a great guy and his basics as shown in his videos are solid. Well worth the time to take a look!

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I like Rick Theory's videos too