1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

wa handle/neck interface question

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have noticed something on several knives with wa handles. Where the neck meets the handle, there is a shoulder with a narrower tang visible where it enters the handle. I have noticed this on some knives I would not consider cheap. Sometimes the tang is showing 1/4 inch. Seems like all the artisan knives I've viewed have inserted the tang far enough to hide this.

I feel like I must be missing something as it surely must not be hard fully insert the tang and hide this shoulder. Is there any reason for it to be exposed as described?

2. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

Are you referring to the machi?

3. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

There are several explanations for this. The best one, in my opinion, is that if/when the handle/tang joint loosens over time, the gap gives you some leeway to tap the blade farther into the handle.

4. SpiceOfLife

Look at label L to make sure that's what you're talking about.

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

But my understanding for it is that 1) it gives your fingers more room for a pinch grip, and 2) for handle maintenance. It allows the handle to be removed for maintenance reasons like cleaning or easy replacement.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Spice

Thank you.
    Yes on the linked diagram the letter "L". Thanks, I now know what it is called. I can see the maintenance explanation as being logical. To me it makes the knife seem as if it is losing its handle. I could see having the shoulder to prevent over inserting the tang into the handle. To my eye it looks wrong to have a big "machi".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  6. cclin

cclin Founding Member

quote from Jon at JKI

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Charles
    thanks for that link as well. Some good explanations. I can see that if your desire is that the spine be even with the handle, or close to it, then the machi would allow this, but this does not explain why it is not sunken to hide the gap. What is the traditional method of attaching the handle that Jon says is easier than using epoxy? The regional aesthetics explanation makes the most sense to me.

8. SpiceOfLife

Traditionally they are burned in. The tang is heated until it's red and then gradually the handle is pushed onto the heated tang. No epoxy.

Maxim has this youtube video that shows what's going on:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

SOL
    Thanks again.