1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual style kitchen knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Burl Source, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Usually when I see a knife maker making non traditional style kitchen knives I cringe.
    But sometimes there will be something new and unusual that I like. Like this.
    [​IMG]
    I don't know the maker and have never seen his knives in person, but I am impressed.
    The maker's name is Mareko Maumasi. David Lisch made a post showing these knives on another forum.
    From what David said the guy worked about 3 years for Bob Kramer then spent some time working with David.

So to make my point......sometimes a new style is a good thing.

2. Burl Source

trying again with the photo
    [​IMG]

3. Burl Source

For some reason I can see the image when I am trying to edit the post but it is not showing in the thread.
    last try
    [​IMG]

4. Burl Source

I tried linking to the image location but that didn't work. Maybe this will work.
    [​IMG]

5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

All I see is an x, are you using a photo hosting service?

6. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Ahh, I see it now.

7. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, Lucretia has one of his knives and is very happy with it.

8. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

IMG_1030.jpg I have a 250mm and it's very comfortable IMHO. The angled integral makes it feel great in a pinch grip and the way the handle is made lets you still have a very comfortable place to put your fingers. Mine has nice balance as well. It's really a joy to use and I plan on getting at least a few more in the future.

- Steve

9. Burl Source

I'd bet she would love to get her feet on that paring knife.
    Is it just me or do the rocket scientist types seem a little bit off to you too?

Beautiful knife Steve.
    I guess I am a little bit slow noticing the newer stuff.

10. SpiceOfLife

My crappy phone pic doesn't do it justice. He has better pics of it on his new site though.

I don't believe he's been doing his own thing for that long. In all actuality you're probably ahead of the curve in knowing about him and his work :)

I think he'll go far if he keep making stuff this nice.

- Steve

11. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I thought he trained with Kramer?

12. SpiceOfLife

He did. A 3 year apprenticeship. Here's his website for anyone who's interested. His story is interesting I thought. A quick read to get some background on him.

http://www.maumasifirearts.com/#!about/c161y

- Steve

13. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Mareko has just started a crowd funding campaign, looks like he's hoping to take his knife making to the next level, that integral D handled Gyuto that Mark posted is one of the most stunning knives I've seen in a while!

14. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

I have been following his work for a while now and his knives to me are very Kramer/Rader influenced.They look very comfortable to hold.He seems to sell exclusively through Epic.Edge. as i cant find one for sale elsewhere.One to watch for sure.

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Yes indeed I would! It sounds like the paring knife is the only one in the picture that's going to be at the show. The others have found homes already--not surprising.

Yes, Mark, I plan to beat feet to the Maumasi table at the knife show--and I'm going to wear slip on shoes just in case I need to try anything out! :D

16. Burl Source

and if someone tries to get the knife away from you, then you show them that trick with your middle toe.

17. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Can't do that middle toe trick any more--the other toes don't bend like they used to. Although I still can use them to give one scary pinch!

18. I can see why they moved so quickly. Great knives:thx

Attached Files:

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Like this
    ken onion.jpg

20. [​IMG]

I like the self-dulling feature Deglon build into their 4 knife nesting set (lower left in photo)