1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Today's history lesson

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Lucretia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Hard to believe that it's been 34 years today since the first space shuttle launch.

2. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Thanks Lucretia. Good memories. I grew up in Orlando and watched many a launch from across the Indian River. (And killed a few boatloads of ducks within site of the launch pads)

3. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

I think for a lot of people my age this is our moon landing.

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

For a lot of people my age, the moon landing is the moon landing. :D

Watching the video we noticed a few big changes between that first launch and later launches. The white paint on the external tank was left off later--it wasn't needed and weighed a bunch. The "beanie cap" that sucked oxygen vapor off the top of the external tank prior to launch wasn't added until later. And there were no rainbirds--huge water delivery systems that were used to suppress the acoustics so that the launch platform didn't shake itself to pieces.

And we still cringe every time we hear "go at throttle up."

5. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I was at a business seminar in Melbourne, FL, and we stopped and went out side to watch the launch of one of the shuttles. Even from that distance it was awe inspiring.

6. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I watched Interstellar last night, and got a little teary in the launch scene because you don't see that kind of thing anymore.