1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for this Beast...

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ...to get its own thread :).

310mm sujihiki collaboration with @mkriggen!!

20141212_112012.jpg 20141212_112029.jpg 20141212_112056.jpg 20141212_112106.jpg 20141212_112144.jpg

More pictures to come once Mikey does his handle magic!!

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Glamour shots look great. I'll try to take at least one glamour shot of mine when everything's done.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Yours will get her beauty session before I send it off my friend :).

This is a sujihiki...for slicing proteins. Meat, fish, poultry.

Call it a more classy version of your grandma's round tipped serving knife :).

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. Yes sir!! The good stuffs!

7. That really is a beast!

8. mkriggen

mkriggen Founding Member

As Cris was nice enough to pound this thing out for me, I figured I would let you all watch as it blossoms and grows. This might take a while as I intend to make a saya and presentation box for it finished in real urushi lacquer. Of course, first I have to learn how to do urushi lacquer. I'll worry about that after I get a handle on it.
    To match the personality of the blade, I wanted the handle to be kinda barbaric, yet elegant and understated (well, understated for me). While I was waiting for the blade, I put a lot of thought into how I was going to achieve this. All of those thoughts went right out the window the night Randy put some awesome mammoth ivory blocks up for sale. Right after I bought the ivory from Randy I went over to Mark's site and ordered a big hunk of bog oak, because I'd been inspired. I'm calling this my 'Bronze Age Handle'. The only components that are younger then the bronze age are the bronze spacers them self's (I figured that was fair). The body will be ancient bog oak, with mammoth ivory ferrule, mammoth tooth end cap, and two bronze spacers sandwiching a bog oak spacer on each end.

wip2.JPG

More to come, but not tonight,
    Mikey

9. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

following his same style, i think this will suite it well!

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

My goodness, what a beautiful suji!!! Keep up the good work, Cris. :) I can't wait to see the handle Mikey does.

11. Absolutely!!

Looking forward to your next update brother!

12. mkriggen

mkriggen Founding Member

Made some more progress with this one.

Glued, squared up, and tapered.
    wip10x.JPG

Shaping complete.
    wip12x.JPG
    wip11x.JPG

And dry fitting. I used to wait until the handle was all done before fitting it up, but that was just because I'm not always the sharpest ball in the box. Much better to do this before making every thing shiny:).
    wip13x.JPG

The handle is now at the engravers. Once I get it back the next steps are doing the inlay and lots of sanding.

be well,
    Mikey

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I am not normally a fan of busy handles, but I am really digging this one.

14. mkriggen

mkriggen Founding Member

I've kinda tried to stay away from commentary on this thread, as it's not my forum, but I think this deserves addressing. I'm not a big fan of multiple individual spacers myself, but I've found that when you bookend one spacer with two thin matching spacers the visual impression is of a single complex spacer, vice three individual spacers. The result is that in a handle like this one, you only get the impression of two matching spacers (one at each end) instead of six individual spacers. Does that make sense? Understand, this is just my own opinion and not backed up by.....well, anything really:j

Be well,
    Mikey

15. Feel free to comment as you like my friend. No stepping on toes here! You're just taking the knife to its finish point.

As for handles and spacers...I agree completely. I feel that complex spacers, when done right...add a 'classy' look...rather than a 'busy' look. Regardless of how many pieces involved, if you execute it properly, it absolutely looks like a single spacer 'in effect'.

By the way...I'm absolutely LOVING this knife! I just hope the blade can live up to the finished handle!!

16. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I might have to hop over to Kona to inspect this when it's done, looks great! And I agree what has been said about spacers. FWIW, the longer I play with handles, the more I like the 'simple' and understated ones, just 2 or 3 well-matched high-quality pieces. But this one here is really nice, I like the combo . Hope to show you its brother shortly ;)

Stefan

17. mkriggen

mkriggen Founding Member

And here she is...
    wip16.JPG wip17.JPG wip18.JPG wip19.JPG wip20.JPG

Next comes the saya:)

Be well,
    Mikey

18. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I agree, 100%. This one is perfectly balanced. Beautiful work, Mikey and Cris!

19. What a beauty... and a work of craftsmanship. Congrats to the new owner and the maker. I applaud you both.
    John emmerling

20. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

What a beautiful, flippin, piece of work!!! Major league props to Cris & Mikey both. I am way jealous! :cool: