1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Tall paring (short gyuto?)

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Dec 26, 2016.

1. This is the latest work I have on the bench. AEBL at 62, I shortened this one considerably due to some recent requests and comments.
    It isn't a paring knife proper at 48 mm height. This is a thin convex grind and 2.5mm spine tapering to the tip.
    I thought I would post this up to see what you guys might have to say about it.
    It will be wearing an all ironwood handle with a thin fine silver ingot spacer when completed.
    I think I could have tapered the spin down to the edge more vs. tapering the edge up to the spin so much.
    This will give excellent clearance but the angle may be too much for some. (This may look a little exaggerated due to the camera angle in this pic).
    I would really like to hear thoughts about this aspect too.

[​IMG]

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

If anything, I would call it a tall petty, more so than a paring knife. Mini gyuto, perhaps? Loving all the new stuff, keep up the good work!

3. Thank you sir! I appreciate the encouragement.

So the wood is committed, but I am not positive I am yet. Thoughts on this handle? It's roughly shaped at this point, but you get the idea.
    Yay or nay?

[​IMG]

4. cheflarge

Looks cool and functional. Hard to say with out holding it in hand. I would say "go for it"........ I like the tapper and flow to the handle, should be comfortable, first & foremost, everything else is secondary.

5. Hey there Mark. I do tall petty's (150-160x50mm) pretty regularly...and they're kind of hit and miss on popularity. I myself love them though...as do a few specific chefs I know.

On the handle, the taper to the front with the break point in the middle works very well. How you make it into your own style is what will determine how comfortable or appealing it might be for your customers.

6. I think the tall petty or small gyuto is pretty cool. Cris makes really good looking ones.

In hand probably fine, but a shorter user may have issues rocking up by the tip for mincing herbs or similar since the tip is higher on this shorter blade.

In my opinion, a lot of the general public home users prefer smaller knives in the kitchen. Like 165 mm and even shorter. You could have a really nice selling design on your hands if you are doing arts and crafts shows/fairs. :cool1

7. Thanks for the comments Cris. I've seen your work. Very nice indeed. I like this style too. I should be able to get it done and test it out this weekend.

8. Thanks MB.
    I might do some arts/crafts shows this year. Could be a lot of fun.
    More home users most likely...

9. I appreciate the compliment.

Oddly enough my favorite tall petty was a 120x47mm extra heavy. Stiff as all hell, with zero flex...but man was it a cutter. I could use it for anything in the kitchen except watermelon lol.

I gave it to my mom for Christmas this year...she's already in love with it.

10. This is how it came out. Apologies for the poor pics, but you get the idea. This is a dark piece of ironwood with some grain pattern. The spacer is silver ingot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Very nice! Much better than I expected from the pictures actually. The rough picture was pretty rough :).

12. Thanks Cris. I actually had no idea how that was going to come out either, but am fairly pleased with it.

13. You should be, it turned out very, very nice.

14. cheflarge

:cool1

15. Looks freaking great! Nice... :cool1