1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Stay safe at work!!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, May 19, 2015.

1. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Hey guys, I haven't been around for a bit. Hell, I'm lucky to be around at all...

I work in the oil field in Alberta, operating oil wells, maintaining them and optimizing them, etc. 6 weeks ago, I was doing my daily routine, opened the doors on a tank to check fluid levels, and got a blast of chemical for my effort. It isn't something we use, but something that got dumped there by who knows who. I reported it, it got cleaned up, thought all was good. Turned out not so. I started to cough alot that afternoon, went to the Dr. Long story short, the chemical "blend" benzine, toluene, xylene, HAN, among others I cant remember. So after a visit to the hospital, and having my lungs checked out, I now have had to get my heart monitored. on a regular basis. I have a consult with a ENT, and a cardiologist to sort things out... I hope. I am down for a bit, not to long I hope. :) Just thought I would check in and let you know why I haven't been around.

Suffice it to say, be careful at work! And at home. You just never know.

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Dang, Pierre! Glad there wasn't an ignition source. I hope things turn out okay.

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow Pierre, hope it turns okay soon for you, and hope they catch the SOB that did that

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Damn, get well Pierre.

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Damm that's some nasty chemicals to get in contact with. Glad to hear you are "OK" at least .

Get and keep copies of all the reports and especially from work- insure its all documented especially what was in that mix. Is there a criminal investigation in regards to the dumping of what is clearly a hazardous material?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  7. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

That's terrible! Hope you're back to 100% soon, Pierre!

8. That's rough! Sorry to hear that.

9. So the good news is those are all very 'short chain' volatile hydrocarbons. A one time exposure shouldn't be an issue. Unpleasant for sure, but no bio-accumulation or long term affects.

10. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

We're all glad your still with us! Best wishes and get healthy!

11. PierreRodrigue

Hi, me again. So thought I would give you all an update. I'm feeling better, sort of. Seems I lost my sense of smell, things have to be sudden, or strong for me to catch a whif. I have diminished lung capacity as well, so they say. Am waiting on the results of a CT scan which I had this past Thursday. Fo now I have to stay out of dusty, hot, dry environments. So much for summer activities.
    Will let you know more as soon as I know anything!

12. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Sorry to hear you're still having problems from that chemical cocktail. Have you been able to work since that happened?

I hope the news is good when you get the results from your CT scan.

13. Toothpick

14. PierreRodrigue

Just an update. This getting old thing sucks. Lungs are improving, getting a bunch of testing on the blood and heart now. Did a stress test a couple weeks ago. CT scan was inconclusive. More blood work yesterday. Dr,'s not happy but cant pinpoint why. Not sure if its from the chemicals, just trying to get a handle on things... I got up on the right side of the sod today, so thats a good thing! LOL! Ultrasounds booked Tuesday morning. Wish me luck.

15. Toothpick

Good luck!!
    I know it might be a common saying, but I really was just thinking about you today.

Which is eerie that you log on and give us an update :k

You got this!

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

stay the course Bear

17. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Pierre, sorry to hear that you are still struggling with this, hang in there and keep us updated.
    Sending my very best thoughts your way.
    jim

18. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Day by day Pierre, day by day.....

Best wishes!