1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Start raising a new pet, and I am going to eat it.

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by schanop, Oct 9, 2015.

1. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Sometimes I wonder why so many home bakers call their starter a pet.

Since started learning baking recently, I have got a bread baking bug. Yeast dough is simpler to do, but I have always enjoy sourdough from good bakeries. After a bit of literature review, I thought why shouldn't I dive in deep and try bake sourdough at home. Now I am left with two options, getting a starter from someone or try to raise a new one from scratch. Since I have decided to dig deep any ay, so let's raise a new pet. And hopefully, in a couple of weeks, it will be good to eat.

First, some organic flour from near by wholesaler in Alexandria: some baker, some whole meal, and some rye.
    [​IMG]

Then 25g rye, 25g white, and 50g water, and here we should be off to a good start.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fingers crossed that this pet will grow into something tasty in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I have to keep feeding it daily.

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I've had good luck making my own starter just like you did.

3. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

this is at the top of my to do list for the coming week. I will be sure to follow along here!

4. schanop

schanop Founding Member

It's been almost a week now. The pet now smells of fermentation. At one point, it was quite alcoholic, and some bad smell too.

At the moment, it starts to smell sweeter, still a bit stinky. In the morning after a night feed, usually there are a lot of bubbles now.

[​IMG]

5. Looks good :)

I have a can in my fridge and do quite the minimalist baking. I started like you but only do rye. I bake no knead wheat bread in my large (7l?) cast iron pot. I also use a pinch of yeast. Like a pea for 1,5 kg flour is enough with the sourdough. I bake maybe once every week or two. When i added the sourdough I just refill the jar with rye and water and let it restart while the dough leavens (10-18 hours) then it goes back into the fridge until next time I bake. Once started it's really easy like this imo, and works well enough.

6. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Thank for the tip, Robin. I am still trying to find my way through this. Probably will bake once, or twice a week, so will have to come up with a plan on how to keep and feed this pet.

7. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Starter activity has been quite active. So I made an experiment with the half that was going to be discarded for the day. Fed that half with 100g flour and 100g water and left it over night. This morning, mixed it up with 400g flour and 200g water and wait for the dough to be ready.

Baking result straight of a combi oven looks pretty good. Crust is look nice and getting dark. Crumb is chewy, soft, and has decent amount of holes. There will still be a lot to learn for me. This loaf does give me a lot of hope that my home baking is going to go at least ok.

[​IMG]

8. Dang! That's your first loaf? Killer start with good development. Banneton and all. Combi-ovens are brilliant for bread.

It's worth tracking down an actual lame for your cuts. You'll gain the necessary finesse over time, but it's the right tool. The loaf looks young, but you also said it was just an experiment. Nice work!

9. When i red the title i was like "What the heck"?
    Then i opened it and things became clearer.
    Used to have a SD starter as well made out of some organic rye flour, water and a bit of grated green apple to speed up the process.
    Kept it in the fridge to slow things down because it was quite active and even so it has come out of the jar sometimes so one day i fed up and used up all.
    Still have the habit to make the dough one day and then bake the bread the next given the dough plenty of time to rise and mature the flavours a bit.
    BTW, your bread looks really inviting. It says come to me. :D

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

11. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Mwuh bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha, good one Lucretia.

I am still half half whether to get a bread lame or relying on my knives for the time being. Disposable blade is sharp, but so can be my knives and straight razors, LOL.

And thank shownomarci for bread shaping tip the other day. I am learning, but still a long way to go.

12. schanop

schanop Founding Member

I think I am getting there, the search for holey bread. This one is 20% wholewheat at taboo 65+ % hydration. My filly 13 bread razor is working well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Oh...so you use the razor to cut the dough...not the cooked bread, am I right? @schanop

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Yep--cut the dough. Chef Son was the one to get me using a straight (and generously gave me one to use, which makes it extra special.) And it's a multi-tasker if you need a quick shave. :D

15. schanop

schanop Founding Member

;) Yes, just for scoring. Since I have already been shaving with a straight and a kamisori, getting a lame with disposable blade is not that appealing. Plus there is no joy of sharpening for disposable blade route.

16. [​IMG]

That's gorgeous!!! :)

17. That is some beautiful looking bread.
    My sourdough efforts have been a little disappointing so far. I am envious.

18. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Great looking loaf!!! I need to get a good starter going!

19. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Thanks, I think I am en route, but still a long way to go to achieve holey bread, crispy crust, gelatinised soft crumb, and lots of flavour without too much acidity.

20. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Took a detour from sourdough loaf baking and made 50% whole wheat sourdough focaccia the other day. Flavour was just a basic rosemary, olive, and sea salt flake. They turned out all right, a bit uneven in browning trying to bake two at once in my little oven.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]