1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Spotty attendance

Discussion in 'Caublestone Cutlery' started by Daniel Cauble, Nov 2, 2018.

1. My apologies Fora members. I seem to have been absent lately.

As i am doing this part time and constantly working on perfecting steel creation, and raising kids, my time is always stretched thin.

I had started a big batch of stainless sanmai in the past and had realized through correspondence with my friend Takeda-san, that carbon migration was too much so i decided to cease further work on that batch, not being happy with carbon migration.

So i started a batch of carbon and hanyaki which are still on the brink of being finished. During this, i have had orders come in for steel that i make (sanmai). I have also been smelting a lot and melting a lot. I have been buying and testing new stones (jnats) quite a bit.

Lately however i have been adding a notch under my belt as a smith and a steel creator that has blown me away.

For the past year i decided to start my journey into crucible steel. Since i have already been making high quality, ultra high carbon orishigane steel, and felt rather confident in my ability to repeatedly produce steel in the 1.5-2% C ranges, i knew i had on my hands the perfect material to insert into a crucible and melt for a 2nd time.

Well its been a project off and on for a year, and finally this past week, on my 6th or 7th puck, and after corresponding tirelessly with my friends adept in making Wootz, i was able to get to a point where i have finally made or am at the brink of making watered steel.

I am recovering from a medical procedure, so i havent pushed this into the finish line, but i felt like sharing here what the surface of my 1
    7% C steel looks like. Havent fully decided in what it will be, but expect kitchen knives this version of my steel. This is just one bar of steel. This is NOT pattern weld. This is what pattern weld is meant to mimic. This is modern wootz.

Apologies for my absence. I promise you, the knife world that one day when i take this fulltime, that you will be inundated with one of a kind cutlery. Such a move is in the works if demand eventually rises.

20181031_221027.jpg 20181031_221042.jpg 20181031_221138.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I check your IG daily just to make sure I don't miss something cool. Really interesting stuff you are cooking up.

3. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

What Matt said. 100%

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

5. Thanks guys. I really feel the love from you guys on IG!

6. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Can't wait to see what you make and offer! Good luck.