1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sous vide pork belly

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Rami, Sep 4, 2014.

1. What can i do to flavor the pork? Do I need to brine? I don't have the time to brine before people come visiting Friday night.

What should I do?

2. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

You dont have the time to brine yet you have the time for it to sit in the bath for 100 years? We talk this friday?

The pork can be flavoured with almost anything, safe bet is a gulash style marinade/brine with sweet paprika but you might very well use oyster and fish sauce and or manis along some fresh chillies and ginger

Might be a good idea to cook in a portion pieces. might loose a lot on presentation but cooking time reduces. And so is flavour transfer

3. Well I was planning to put it in tonight or tomorrow morning. Otherwise will have to think of something else.

4. Rami - while a 'normal' process might be an overnight brine before sous vide, you can skip the brine and sous vide in a braising liquid.

Try soy, mirin, sugar and fish sauce for the liquid, along with some garlic and scallions. I know some people go for very long cooking times, but Keller does 180F for 10- 12 hours, so you still have time if you skip the brine. (at least I think you still have time....you must be 10 hours ahead of me)

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

this sounds good. how are you finishing the pork? broiler? grill? nothing?

6. It will be very soft and tender after the long sous vide. I would chill it so you can remove the fat collected in the bag, and so you can cut it into nice slices. Then sear or broil for a crispy outside.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

oh yeah. sounds great!

9. Well I went garlic, onion, chicken stock, duck fat. Dry rub was five spice nutmeg fennel salt rosemary sprig. In sous vide for 18 hours.

Ps I sent this out on Thursday afternoon. You guys are a day ahead.

10. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409894947.282806.jpg

Dried in oven overnight. Will crisp up under high hight later.

11. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I forgot to take pictures of it during sous vide but this is the pork belly I got , Once it's cooked , press between two pans or trays with a weight on the one above , using a spoon peel the skin, save for cracking
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422182226.212405.jpg
    In the meantime compress some honeydew and cantaloupe ,
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422182553.931225.jpg
    mix with shaved fennel , fennel fronds , olive oil , salt , lemon juice ( I retired the mandolin in my kitchen , all my chefs have to cut it thin by hand using push cut)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422182589.609851.jpg

Cut the skin in strips , toss with white vinegar and rock salt , cook between two grease proof paper at 220c ( ~450) for 16-18min until it almost puffs ,
    Fat side down I cook the pork belly until crisp , warm it further in the oven
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422182647.532657.jpg
    Then serve with the shaved fennel salad , basil and crispy crackling
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422182703.387202.jpg

12. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

13. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

That looks awesome!