1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Remedies for a Remedy

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

So I got a nice little project land in my lap awhile back that needed some remedies applied, it's a Lamson made Remedy gyuto.

The remedies that were prescribed and administered were blade thinning (see details below), hidden tang conversion, & rehandling.

[​IMG]

This would have been a pretty straight forward refurb except for two issues. The first is that the blade has a decent overgrind strip on the right side where it appears that the blade was refinished after the mark was lasered on. There's a hollowed out section from spine to edge in just this section. I did my best to even the face of the blade out but I couldn't add steel where it had been removed so some evidence still exits. The second issue nearly kicked my ass, the bolster is whacked out, it was shorter on one side than the other and more or less uneven in every direction. This might not have been that big of a deal if I was applying scales but in this case I was putting a squared up block of wood up against these things. As with the blade I did my best to make this look as good as possible where there was little to work with and again some evidence still remains of the factory imperfection.

Blade Thinning stats:

Before
    Spine (handle to tip) - .70" , .72" , .20"

Edge (handle to tip) - .13" , .13" , .11"

After
    Spine (handle to tip) - . 63" , .60" , .09"

Edge (handle to tip) - .06" , .05" , .05"

Handle:Two toned straight grain ironwood (from BurlSource)
    Copper bolster spacer
    Copper & nickel silver mosaic pin
    Converted full tang from to hidden

The customer saw potential in this knife and I hoped that I saw it realized.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]