1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Leave it. Wood Lamp

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by James, Jan 8, 2016.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

So before my Grandpa passed away years ago, he made this lamp with wood that he took from our cottage. most of my memories with him are either from there, or from working on things in his basement.

IMG_20160108_210427.jpg

the lamp is fully functional, not the most modern of things but it is made from his hands and electrical parts from an old lamp. part of me wants to stain the base... or do something with it. the other part wants to leave it alone. what do you think

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I don't know about how to go from here James, but I thought I'd mention that it looks as if a beaver cut the top off. might be why it was interesting to him. It being on the small size, it wouldn't demand a lot of real estate and could be dressed up with a nice little shade. low wattage night light type bulb to just make it glow and trigger a memory now and then. Might consider coating it with linseed oil or Tung oil or similar to bring out the rich colors already there and preserve. Maybe a nice north woods lodge themed shade:D

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. James

The oil is what I was kind of thinking, I ordered a shade for it yesterday. Ill start with the shade and go from there I think

5. James

10 bucks on sale at lowes... looks good to me
    IMG_20160112_181114.jpg

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I like it

8. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Looks good!!! :cool1

9. James

A little flax on the base and...

IMG_20160112_202330.jpg IMG_20160112_202132.jpg

10. James

I think Ill leave it just like that

11. butch

butch Founding Member

ilike it

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Very nice

13. Looks just about right to me.

14. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

15. James

Its the only thing I have of his, but its perfect, all my memories with him are either at the cottage, where he got the wood, or of making things with him, like this, so its perfect.

16. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I think it's awesome...

17. James

Thanks for the compliment Bill, and also for keeping me in suspence lol

18. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Love that lamp James!
    I have an old table that I helped my grandfather build when I was a teenager from barn lumber. It has a real heavy piece of distorted glass for the top that came from an old L&N office building door that he salvaged before they tore down the building. It sits in front of a picture window in my living room. Probably a piece of junk to most but priceless to me.

[​IMG]

19. James

looks cool to me lol. bet you still smile at it from time to time as well. I put mine in front one of one of my windows facing the street, Whenever Im out and leave it on, I can always see it lit in the window as I come home

20. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Yeah, it makes me think of many good times past whenever I clean it or water the plant.