1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Shigefusa (Kiya) Yanagiba Refurb

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

One of my favorite repair jobs that I'm quite proud of is the refurbishment of this 330mm Shigefusa (KIYA's house brand kanji seen) yanagiba owned by Harrleson Stanley (of Shapton USA). This knife was gifted to Harrelson personally by the owner of Shigefusa after having survived a hurricane. The knife was found under sea water as seen in the before picture. I worked on this knife to bring it back to what I believe to be close to what Shigefusa would do themselves plus we added on a Stefan Keller made handle.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

2. erikz

erikz Founding Member

Wow Dave. Really nice refurb! Love the special story that goes with this yanagiba!

3. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Awesome blade to work on

4. William Catcheside

William Catcheside Founding Member

Lovely work and fantastic History to the blade:)

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. gavination

gavination Founding Member

I rather dig the cloud patina on the before... Haha!

7. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Awesome work Dave:D

8. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Uber SEXY, well done, Dave!