1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Savernake 8" Chefs, Carbon Opinels etc

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roaduck, Nov 30, 2023.

1. [​IMG]
    My English Savernake DC21 DNA 8 inch chefs (bottom piccy) came yesterday after a long wait - the courier lost the first knife so it had to be re-sent.
    It was worth the wait though - it`s Sheffield SF100 stainless steel at HRC-60 - so 6% harder than most Sabs, Wusties and Globals.
    I`ll have to take some better piccies of the Savernake - I think it`s quite pretty.
    The handle is denim micarta and it`s a dream to use - totally effortless for rocking because of the moderate belly profile - I think it looks unusual but mega practical because it`s tough, holds an edge and is perfectly balanced at the hilt, full tang with no bolster - which I can`t abide.
    It`s not too heavy at about 6 1/2 ounces so using it tonight for five hours solid helping the homeless wasn`t a strain for my arthritic arms.
    I got two Opinel five inch folders and a five inch Opinel serrated to replace the ones that got pinched years ago - very practical tough knives for inside or outside.
    I drilled the two Opinel handles to put a ring and lobster clasp on - so they don`t go walkies !
    Two Opinels are serrated and one is a carbon blade.
    I got another Sabatier 5 inch serrated paring knife because they are so useful and nearly zero maintenance - great for me working in freezing weather outside.
    The green handled 8 inch chefs is a commercial / dishwasher doable Starrett cheapie that I don`t mind lending to young junior chefs - they`re not going near the Savernake haha!

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I can never get the blade on my Opinel out without having a pair of pliers nearby. Ergo, rarely used.

3. I`ve got strong nails Wagner the Wehrwolf - so luckily no need for tools to open tools haha!