1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sabatier conversion

Discussion in 'Tansu Knives' started by chefcomesback, Apr 29, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I wanted to have a sabatier for a long time but their handles and the bolster were a deal breaker for me. Here is my first and very amateur sabatier hidden tang conversion .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398765442.440985.jpg

Also my first attempt of making making western handle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398765480.132279.jpg

The handle and saya are made from tiger maple and brown mallee burl

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398765555.901012.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398765571.350508.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398765598.027914.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398765615.778126.jpg

It has many beginners mistake and will end up getting gifted to a friend or so , but overall it was a good learning experience . At the end I ran out of patience and called it a day , I have a gyuto project with western handle, hopefully that will turn out better

Mert

2. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Looks great, I don't see anything wrong with it and like the combo. That little mallee insert in the saya is cool. The handle looks 'organic' in a good way - I imagine it to be quite comfortable.

Stefan

3. chefcomesback

Thank you for your kind words Stefan but knowing that it has imperfections drives me crazy . I have decided to insert the mallee piece since the integral bolster would stick out , I wanted to same wood continue from saya to handle

4. CB1968

CB1968 Founding Member

Looks great Mert, nice work!!

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

very handsome. How is it to use with the new handle?

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Off the hook! I gotta believe that ANY chef would be proud to use that knife, I know I would.

8. And that's a knife maker right there :) One to watch. Let me know when you start taking orders, if you decide to do so.

9. chefcomesback

Rami , this is strictly a hobby ( but serious one ) for me , I don't plan on taking orders at this stage. I don't want to stress myself more about deadlines on my days off where I work on knives. My day work is providing enough stress for me.
    Despite my lack of experience of making them as an end user I can spot the imperfections on them and it makes me not wanting to put up for sale. Although this is now turning into some sort of hoarding with more knives piling up at home I need materials to practice on new ones. Maybe I will list some for sale for a low price just to cover the cost of the materials. I don't know any local knife nuts , maybe will do a PIF

Mert

10. I was talking about the passion determination and perfectionism all required attitudes for someone to pick up the skill. I know I am no good. But I really like your handle and the general look of the knife. ( no where near an expert). Let me know if you ever do a pif or something. I am around the corner in sydney :)

11. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Great job, Mert! It looks comfy and well finished.

12. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

If it is an integral bolster can we see an upclose set of shots of the bolster and where your handle met? It looks like great work. Keep it up!

13. chefcomesback

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399333189.963719.jpg I will be doing some more grinding on fine grits and polish it, then this little guy will be heading to MS , USA

14. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Mert, you did an outstanding job. Look forward to your next project.

15. chefcomesback

Thank you for kind words everybody , it was a challenge for my primitive work shop along to my patience
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399363011.909682.jpg

16. chefcomesback

The picture of a crack in ferrule

17. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Still looks good to me. A buffing wheel with white compound will take out the fine scratches in the transition between bolster and handle. Before that, a drop of CA glue in the small burl crack, sand, repeat as needed. If the crack is wide enough, you can also add a little saw dust from the same wood. With a bit of luck, you won't even see it, especially in burls.

Stefan

18. chefcomesback

Thank you Stefan

19. chefcomesback

Thank you