1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Small Arms Factory, history on my doorstep

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by WarrenB, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Thought some of you guys might be interested in what is on my doorstep.
    The village/housing estate that we live on in Enfield was once the Royal Small Arms Factory, they designed and produced many weapons including the Lee-Enfield Rifle and the Martini-Henry Rifle.

They have kept the RSAF Machine Shop and made it the centre point of the village, they have put a barge in the water in front of it to commemorate Harold Turpin, the chief designer at the RSAF.
    Probably not a name that anyone recognises but the 'T' in Turpin is the 'T' in STEN gun, the letters come from Shepherd, Turpin and ENfield.
    barge.jpg barge2.jpg

All this is literally 30 seconds from my front door and I feel privileged to to be so close to a huge piece of history.

If anyone wants to get more info then have a look here

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. The barge was called something else previously and went away for renovating and returned renamed to honor Harold Turpin, it has to be craned in and out as it's a small closed off bit of water.
    There are a few fish as well!! there is a small section of canal that runs into it that has some nice carp in, will see if I can find the pics I took

4. Toothpick

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

that's great Warren. Of course yours is a far more target rich environment as it pertains to history. Probably dig anywhere without coming up with some artifacts. Some pre Roman even.

6. That is very true Mike, when we planted a few small trees in my parents old place we found quite a few bits of Roman tile, no monetary value but great to dig up and hold something from such a historic time

7. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Sweet!

8. Had a closer look at the old machine shop today and the clock on top of it
    canal2.jpg

The clock itself was built in 1783 by Thwaites & Reed and the bell was cast at the Woolwich Arsenal in 1856, really interesting doing a little more research
    bell.jpg bell2.jpg

9. Toothpick

10. Toothpick

11. Looks like it was 2002 when they modified it but apparently the Dutch engineer got his 24h clock in a muddle and it was silent during the day and chimed at night!! Being English it says the residents put up with it for 4 nights before they called the estate manager!!

12. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

What an incredible living arrangement Warren. I can only imagine what it's like too experience this every day.

13. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Fascinating Warren, thanks for sharing and posting the pictures! Very cool!

14. It's not as fancy as it sounds, the word 'village' makes you think of a pretty English village but it's more of a big housing development like anywhere else but with some history in the middle. Still a lot nicer than where we lived before, 10th floor of a block with all sorts going on around us, had to get out of there!

15. Thanks, I have found it interesting doing a little more research

16. The water is frozen but I managed to spot a few of the Koi Carp that are in there under the ice, they are around 18"-24" long.
    There about a dozen normal carp but you just can't find them unless the sun is on the water as they are all dark brown!
    koi.jpg koi2.jpg

17. Toothpick