1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing the last burr debris with an electric tooth brush

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Benuser, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Tried this first with basic carbons, XC75, vintage Sheffields. Later on with AS. After deburring on a 8k still something seemed to be left.
    My poor technique, sensitivity or both, didn't want to round the edge too much. Very gently passing with an electric strictly rotating toothbrush at some 45 degree on both sides. Cleaner edges than ever before. Don't know yet whether they will hold.
    Any thoughts?

2. Had some communication problem when posting, might explain.

3. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Yes this thread got posted multiple times for some reason...
    That being said, that sounds like a good idea, can you let us know how the edges behave for you?

4. I sure let you know!

5. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I think I'll need to go out and get a new toothbrush head before my kids wake up. Trying it shortly .

6. This is interesting. Pictures of the process would be great :).

7. For your information,
    I've used a basic Braun/Oral-B, only
    rotating in both sides, no pulsing.
    New standard brush. No pressure,
    45 degree angle, on both sides of
    the blade. Speed about 1 second
    per centimeter.
    Just to make sure: hold the knife
    with a firm grip -- the only time I
    suggest a firm grip, by the way.
    After using it with forementioned carbons I tried with Gin-3 and VG-10. Immediate success with the first, some more passes necessary with VG-10.

8. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

My wife has been wanting to get an electric toothbrush, maybe it's time!

9. Went a bit further with
    experimenting. Most surprising: my favourite enemy, Cromova by Global. I got easily rid of a full 2k burr. Now, that would be interesting if confirmed: the only reason to go with higher grids with these stainless is in order to remove the burr; otherwise I would prefer a coarser finish.

10. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

I prefer the infinite control of a manual toothbrush.

11. For dental care or for deburring?

12. That is interesting stuff, I found the Global Cromova really clings on to a burr as well, might try this method and see how I get on, thanks