1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Reconditioning stones

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Mark Brock, Sep 22, 2018.

1. I found a couple of Suehiro stones at a garage sale this weekend. Badly used and abused.
    I usually flatten my stones (take out any dish) with a Shapton glass 320, but these seemed beyond that. They had fairly deep chisel marks as the guy was a wood worker.
    I figured I needed something coarser than the 320 to make any headway in my attempt to resurrect these stones, so I came up with the idea of using my granite plate and some 180 grit paper, wet.
    It actually worked very nicely. Very satisfied with the results, and it was not overly difficult to take out the deep dishes and scratches from these two stones. These are 1200 and 4000 stones.

reconditionedStones1.jpg reconditionedStones2.jpg reconditionedStones3.jpg reconditionedStones3a.jpg reconditionedStones4.jpg

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Look great Mark. wish I had a granite plate. what concern did you have that caused you to glove up for this evolution?

3. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Nice job! Next time try doing the "heavy lifting" with a concrete block, and then finish with the wet/dry.

4. The gloves: It was just really chalky sanding it down. The paper wasn't too bad Rick. It went pretty quick. But good tip.
    I tried these stones out yesterday. Not too impressed. The Shaptons seem much better.

5. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I'm at the point where I'm using a disk sander. If I ever find an old school belt sander (6"x48" type) that has a detached motor I'm going to dedicate the machine to stone flattening duty. I hate flattening stones.

6. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I've got a soft spot for Shapton. They just get the job done and at a very reasonable price.

7. This is one of the best synopses of sharpening theory and practice I've ever come across. And I'm a woodworker.

I'll add something that I do - it's a quick way to get an edge back, I do it about once a week on my edge tools (less often on my kitchen knives)

I use automotive wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of glass or marble. A spray bottle to keep the surface wet, and the water also helps to hold the paper flat on the glass. A few swipes on the bevel and the back, a couple runs along a strop, and I've got a rejuvenated edge. This works well with Kitchen tools too, but it takes a little practice to hold the edge at the proper angle of the bevel on each side of the blade.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2020
  8. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

A trick I learned if you're going to use sandpaper on any tile. Glue a large piece of sandpaper to the actual tile. Don't use that piece, but place whatever sandpaper you're going to use over it. The sandpaper underneath will help hold the one above in place, so it doesn't slide around or pop up.

I've also opted for the disc sander to save on time, though when I'm out and about I carry a 120 grit dmt for flattening on the go. Concrete blocks are great to save on initial flattening, lessening the wear on other stones for cost savings. I'm lucky if I can get a stone to last me a year...