1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Thinning a Takeda Gyuto

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Dcaddo, Dec 5, 2018.

1. 968765A9-57B8-405C-BBAB-6498D292D733.jpeg 5AF30C98-A478-48CC-ABF8-3CB7087503EA.jpeg EA52C4D2-7942-4A81-8AD7-608BE680D4CA.jpeg DDFBC856-EFA0-4D09-93DD-C5DA8F9BCFFA.jpeg Hey fellas. I just got a new Gyuto from Takeda-San and have some questions about thinning it down. On average it was 1.10mm thick directly behind the edge when I got it. I have started thinning and now have it down to around .65mm, but it still feels thick for this knife. I don't necessarly need it to be a laser, but I would like to get it thinned down to the old Takeda standards. I have experience honing, but I have never thinned down a Japanese knife like this, so please bear with me.

Am I off to a decent start? Jim I know you suggested to me earlier that I may need to ramp up higher on the blade, and after looking at it some more I agree. The lowest grit stone I have is a Chosera 400x and seems to be working fine, just a little slow.

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated,

David

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Common values I use as a rule of thumb: immediately above the bevel 0.2mm; at 5mm from there 0.5mm; at 1cm something like 1mm thickness.

Consider use of an Atoma 140. When it is brand new, use it for dressing stones only. After some use it becomes a very effective tool without being overly aggressive. Or use automotive sandpaper with a linen backing. In Europe I know Robert Bosch 'Metall'. Start by P120. You can only use it for edge trailing strokes.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Looks like you've got a fatty there David. It also looks like you're on your way in the right direction to making it sing. I'd advise to just keep plugging away at it but to focus your efforts high on the bevel and work your way down to the cutting edge. Stay away from the edge and you'll be fine.

My current favorite non powered method of steel removal is coarse sandpaper on a flat granite plate. I want to try this thing sometime. I think it might just the ticket to keeping the sandpaper in place when really leaning on it. I prefer using sandpaper over stones these days because I can't stand dealing with the flattening process and how slow going it is trying to flatten steel on a constantly evolving surface...talk about chasing your tail. And I hate buying expensive diamond plates to see them ground away from one knife, that really irks me.

Anyway you go just remember to take some Advil and you'll be fine. ;)

Dave

4. Dave Martell

One more thing....use the stone's edge lengthwise, hanging the black part of the blade off of the side of the stone to avoid scrubbing the finish away.

5. 431D4F58-57AC-47CB-A9F8-C72602D332CB.jpeg 0A70DB82-EAF0-4B5F-B452-00A5C00F73A8.jpeg 3939BD26-168A-404D-8BB2-EAC7686950EC.jpeg Dave thanks for reply and pointers. Keeping the stone flat was a major challenge, but turning the stone on it's edge has greatly helped with this. I am still plugging away at it. I have raised the road to about 1" above the edge now. It's still a bit thick, but I did a few test cuts and it's getting there.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Dave Martell

You're really hogging off some steel now!

BTW, I didn't mean to have you stand the stone on it's edge but if that's working for you then hey whatever works. :)

8. 7C9B24BE-B224-4FC2-BA2A-31006F284400.jpeg
    It may not win any beauty contests, but here she is. Still not what I would call a laser, but it sure will cut! Thanks for the pointers fellas.

9. Dave Martell

10. Thanks, Dave!

11. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

12. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Should be a killer cutter now! Well done. :cool:

13. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

15. It even passed the hanging hair test. Lol

16. Thanks Guys!

17. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Damn! I wish I could sharpen my pocket knives like that. I can't even do it with the Lanskey system.

18. Dave Martell

19. So...the question I have is how many hours do you have in this? Regardless that is a great transformation!