1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Mizuno

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Talk about a one of a kind! [​IMG]

This is a 270mm Mizuno gyuto with a blue steel core with (I believe) iron cladding that has been thinned, etched, polished, and upgraded with a new Stefan Keller handle.

The blade was well used so I was asked to do the full spa treatment to clean & thin it up. After grinding on it some I could see the potential for some neat effects if the blade was etched so I ran the idea past Shane and he said go for it. [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

The handle is African blackwood with a vintage bakelite ferrule & blue mammoth end cap. Nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the blade looking the best I could get it meant polishing it pre-etch and then polishing it post-etch as well. Took me 4 attempts before I was satisfied. The result is something that could barely be captured in the pictures, the cladding is a shiny gun metal color while the core steel is a smokey brown/black....looks 100x better in person, you'll have to take my word for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

************** COOL!!!

4. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Whoa. Gives me another reason to look at Mizuno again! Like I really needed one.

5. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

That looks great! Makes me want to buy a Mizuno, again. I kinda miss my 270 that had a spalted handle by Stefan.

6. Andre

Andre Founding Member

That looks fantastic.

7. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Real cool cladded blade that is.
    And the job you made Dave makes it look cool and surely perform.
    Gorgeous lamination on both sides.

8. Crothcipt

Crothcipt Founding Member

Still love how this turned out. It took me about a mo. or 2 before I could think about using it. Like what Dave said, the pics. don't do the blade justice. What people say about Shig's having clouds, is what I would say you see when you take a really close look. Btw I have only sharpened this blade 2x since I got it back in Sept. It is pretty much a daily user on poly boards.