1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Gyuto with western handle

Discussion in 'Tansu Knives' started by chefcomesback, Jun 11, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

This is a prototype of a gyuto I was working on. ( the one I almost sold it to a non knife nut )It has a hidden tang western style handle although next lot will be secured with a mosaic pin too in addition . Handle is tiger maple from dream burls and bimble burl with a copper liner and a brass tip.
    The blade is made from a simple high carbon steel, around 60-61, with a 216 mm cutting edge and 50 mm tall at the heel . It is quite stiff , 3mm at the spine and more like workhorse category than laser but it is still very thin behind the edge. Overall length 355 mm and weighs 207 grams . Balance point is one inch before handle . It is asymmetric ground for right handed person
    Since it is a practice knife I only have ground it to 120 grit just in case I may have to alter the grind after testing. I put a mustard patina on it make it stable in pro kitchen .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402531534.972724.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402531570.903715.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402531589.984002.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402531609.082867.jpg

I suck at this choil shots , hope you can see it is thin behind the edge .
    Thanks for looking , Mert

2. I like it!

3. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Nice job, Mert.

4. :like:

5. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I like your yard, where do you find time to cook, make knives, and keep your yard. Mine looks like a rainforest.

6. chefcomesback

Where I live there are lots of vines , which are maintained by grounds men, my yard looks like a rainforest with the addition of funnel web and red back spiders

7. Is it flat ground? How does it actually performs in your tests?
    I like the overall look. Pretty professional. Like a big santoku with nice hidden tang handle.

8. chefcomesback

Thank you Anton , the left side is pretty flat and right side more pronounced for easy food release for a right handed person . I am doing 3 more of these knives in a better carbon and stainless steels , they will have a slimmer tip , making it less santoku like. I am usually really hard on my own work but I was really happy with cutting performance , didn't need to alter the grind . I kept looking for things to cut :)

9. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Looks great!

10. Andre

Andre Founding Member

That you kept looking for things to cut is the sign of a winner I think!

11. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

12. chefcomesback

Thanks for the kind words everyone

13. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Rami must be very happy now.

14. chefcomesback

Yes indeed :)

15. Oh ya. Very happy. Loved that blade from the first day I saw it. :)

16. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I agree with everyone else "you're doing great!"

17. chefcomesback

Thank you Mark , I will using the koa I got from you for the next one , really looking forward for it

18. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Stunning, Mert, keep up the good work.

19. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Nice going Mert. Nice to see you progressing so quickly.

20. Looks very useful, well done!