1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. I was talking with Mr. Ian Rogers of @Haburn knives about the idea of holding a gathering up here in the Pacific Northwest and in his great wisdom he suggested that we start talking to folks on the forums now. I'm reaching out to all of you fine folks in regards to timing as well as input on how to run a gathering.

What kind of activities or things would people be into doing, seeing, eating, learning about? What's worked in the past? What hasn't? Anything and everything please!

Currently my thoughts are to hold it at my shop at around this time next year, Sept-Oct, as it is at the end of the summer show circuit so we can try to get as many makers out to it as possible (Rader, Lisch, Burke, Carter, Rogers, Tendic, and anyone else that might be able to make it.). Another option would be mid June which is right after Blade Show in ATL. Since makers are already traveling, they might be more amiable to attending a gathering like this, as well as most makers aren't super stoked to get right back to work after a big show like Blade, as well as it being a bit of a being a break until the next shows in Sept.

Thank you all in advance for your time and input. I really look forward to seeing your thoughts!

Best regards,
    Mareko

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Still hoping for a Christmas miracle on this one... Christmas in October, of course.

3. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

This would definitely be worth a trip down from Vancouver

4. @Lefty, Christmas miracle? What've you got brewin' my friend? I definitely want you there!

5. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Fall is better. Hot weather makes me cranky. It's not a pretty sight.

6. I'm down! I've got dibs on sleeping in Lucretia's catbox though.....

7. Oysters will be back in season too! We could do a seafood boil using chopped up veggies from testin out knives!

8. I'd like to get things movin' forward with this thread and firm up plans for a fall meet up. Right now I'm thinking early October and on a Sunday to help ensure that folks in the service industry also get the chance to get there hands on some knives too.

I'm also kickin' around the idea of a friendly "Kitchen Knife Cutting Competition" amongst makers. Premise is to have a panel of judges, a couple pros and a couple home users, to put a selection of knives submitted by custom makers, through a series of tasks and to rate each of the knives based on their performance. The knives will all be exactly the same in profile and length as well as them all having the same Japanese handle on them. With no defining marks, it will all come down to the grind of the blade and how it performs. Once the fun and games are all done and everyone's had there chance to chop, slice and dice with them, reveal the makers as well as the results and offer the knives for sale. All proceeds would go to a non-profit organization working to help feed and properly cloth those in need through the cold months.

My initial thoughts for the competing knife, is a 240mm Gyuto, but I would love to hear your thoughts on that one, as well as specific profile and height?

I'm also still interested in getting the folk's thoughts on what they've seen or would like to see. Positives and negatives experienced at past "Knife Gatherings"? Please feel free to PM me with your thoughts too if you'd rather not share publicly.

I'm definitely planning on doing a forging demo, as well as having a sharpening demo and station set up. Food is a must.

Best regards,
    Mareko

9. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

I would like to participate in the KKCC if possible. Pleeeeeaaaase! :cc

10. Sweet @Haburn! I appreciate you stepping up to the challenge. I'll definitely be entering a blade too. Now to figure out who else wants to submit an entry. @Lefty @butch @chefcomesback @HHH Knives @CrisAnderson27 @Dave Martell @PierreRodrigue @Pennman88 @Robin @Chadd Smith @Dan P.

FORA MEMBERS!!
    Who's work would you like to see pitted head to head to help raise money for a good cause? @marc4pt0 @Lucretia @Mrmnms @WildBoar @Anton @Jim @Toothpick @Mr.Magnus @XooMG and everyone else!!

Food wise, in addition to doing a seafood boil, I'm gonna have a gas grill there so I can bake up some grilled pizzas! Other thoughts on food?

11. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I'd be interested in submitting a blade, assuming I can get time to do it. I know I won't be able to get there, but I'd send the knife in, no problem. It would be a fun little "test".

12. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I can think of a few folks whose work I'd like to see in competition, but I have pretty strong doubts any of them would participate. I may message a few anyway just to see.

13. This sounds fun indeed. I would love to come, but if I can't, maybe ai can send a knife?

14. I'd love to see knives from Marko Tsourkan, Bloodroot blades and Don Nguyen among other participants.
    I'd also suggest adding one or two well known Japanese-made knives as a reference… maybe @JBroida could assist with Kochi as a good reference knife and with stock burned chestnut handles :)

… and one more wish: bring the cameras, bring the tripods, bring some decent light so all the interesting parts would be captured on photos/videos and became available to see for those who lives in the other half of globe.

15. Sounds like this will be great, unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the pond!!
    After trying out @Robin passaround knife, I would like to see one head over there.
    One from @CrisAnderson27 and @chefcomesback as well, really just going with makers I have knives from:D
    After seeing his forge and process, it would be interesting to see if @Dan P. would be up for it as well.

16. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

keep me posted... i need to get up to Oregon and Washington this coming year if i can

17. @Lefty, I think it would be awesome to get a blade from you. I would also love for you to be able to make it down! That's why we're getting this conversation going now my friend.

@XooMG, I'm gonna reach out to Kramer, Carter, Burke, Rader, Lisch, Wilburn, Bloodroots, Nguyen, as well as some folks from Instagram that're doin some good work. It's a numbers game, you reach out to as many as you can hoping to get the few that you need. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

@Robin, it'd be awesome if you could submit a knife, and even better if you can make it!

@Anton, I will definitely make sure we have cameras rolling as well as coming up with a meaningful hashtag for folks to use to help keep track of all the great photo's that are bound to be taken.

@JBroida, Will keep you posted. I hope you can make it up here! Also will keep you posted, sir.

18. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Potential competitors might be more inclined to play if they know the testing conditions will be elucidated. I've heard of more than one maker being unhappy that their work was compared to standards different than their own.

19. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

This sounds like it WILL NOT suck! :like:cool: :jump :pop :cool1

20. @XooMG, That's where I'm hoping the community here will chime in. What are some or the tasks that you all put a knife through to get an initial impression and feel for the edge, how well it cuts through foods, how well it slices, it's level of precision, if it can handle hard materials or not?