1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me with romantic dinner.

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by BathonUk, Jun 30, 2014.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi guys. I will have 7th anniversary with my girlfriend next year. It's kind of special anniversary because we started living together on 07/07/07 and we have our 7th anniversary on 07/07/14. 7 will be mu lucky number hehe.
    Ok so I plan to make a nice dinner for two. I thought about Lobster because we never had one and it is exotic for us. Could you help me with rest of the dinner? Which sides, salads etc.? Which wine? Please give me recipes because I don't have any ideas. If you can, you can give me alternative just in case that I won't buy lobster. I have a fish market in my town so I can get other see food as well. Thanks guys in advance:)

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Do you like crab and other shell fish? If you don't, you probably won't like lobster.

Now, if you're set on lobster, let the lobster be the big flavor. I would keep the rest relatively simple. A light salad with just a few ingredients and basic vinaigrette. I would have a soft bread with room temp butter.

Whole lobster or just tails? Is it a fresh live one? A small steak for each wouldn't hurt. Dependent on how big of a carnivore you are and how big the lobsters are.

Regardless of those questions I would lightly cook some french green beans and finish them in olive oil, salt and pepper. Starch, is kind of up to you. I love risotto... Saffron (or safflower for the poor man's saffron) should pair nicely IMO.

Have some melted button on hand for the lobster and possibly the steak if you do those. A nice bottle of cuvee...

Dessert I would keep simple. Strawberries and a balsamic glaze is great. Can pair well with plain vanilla ice cream- usually. Or just smother her in chocolate with something nice from a bakery ;)

I like to keep things basic and let the ingredients and preparation do the talking. I'm sure there will be some way more fun suggestions than mine from other members.

3. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

As the world's leading authority on romantic dinners, here is the single most important factor:

the proper choice of guest

After that, it's hard to go wrong.

If you never had lobster, it would be a great opportunity to try it. It's much more fun to eat at home where you don't have to worry about looking like a barbarian. With a salad and side, a 1 1/2 to 2 pounder apiece would be a nice treat. Boil for 13-17 minutes, and don't forget to eat the green tomalley and (if you're lucky) the red roe. Wash it down with a bottle of Lindeman's Bin 65 chardonnay,- buttery, not overly oaked, cheap, and available in almost every wine shop on Earth.

She'll be so happy, she won't mind the sore bought dessert.

4. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

See, Jay said it better. :)

5. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I love lobster, but the less you do to it, the better IMHO - that's actually true for most fish also, tuna doesn't even need cooking as far as I am concerned. Just cook as described above, some lemon and melted butter, and I am happy and that's the best way to get the full flavor. It's a somewhat primal experience because you will make a mess - not sure how that works with the romantic part of it... Of course, we are talking fresh live lobsters here, right? Frozen ones are no comparison and overprized rubber...

That said, if you have a local fish market, why not check in with them and see what is in season? Lots of great Atlantic fish right on your coast (well, the do travel a bit to catch it...). A nice center piece of haddock can be great as long (as you catch all the bones), flounder is nice, monk fish is almost like lobster tail in its consistency. Just avoid farmed, mass-produced salmon.

For everything else, the local farmers market it a good place to look. Again, seasonal products will be best. Not sure what is up in the UK right now, maybe strawberries for dessert? Just coat them with a good chocolate (Valrhona is my favorite), maybe some variations (white, dark, milk chocolate) - done. Not sure about veggies, but some ripe heirloom tomatoes with fresh basil and buffalo mozzarella, a drizzle of good olive oil and balsamico, a nice salt and fresh pepper always works for me as an easy, simple starter.

Drink is easy: Champagne goes with everything, almost everybody likes it - and it IS your anniversary ;)

I am neither a Chef nor in a relationship, so take this with caution ;)

Stefan

6. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I like the lobster but would prepare and serve it poached and slightly chilled with a nice herbed mayonaisse. Haricot verdes on the side. Maybe a savory scone. With Champagne of course. This would allow the bulk of the prep to be done in advance and leave you more time for celebrating.

Like Stefan I'm not a chef and I seem to be terminally single...

7. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Keep it simple Gregory.

Why would it have to be courses? Just prepare a buffet selection of sort prawns in shell and lobster and some volauvent and canapees and maybe blinis with caviar make a dessert that is ready to serve outta fridge, and when its on the table and ready, next thing you have to do is take your clothes off.

haha ;)

8. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

When it comes to desserts, which flavours do you like? Vanilla, chocolate, citrus, fruits, etc..?

9. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Greg, after 7 years you will need all the romantic dinner help you can get if there isn't some sort of rock at the bottom of her champagne glass :jump

10. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Lots of good cheer in this thread. Only thing I could add is make sure you make it more about her than the cooking and serving. Have a great time and enjoy.

11. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hey guys thank you so much. It's load of good ideas.
    WildBoar we are engaged but to be honest we don't need to take it further.
    Apathetic I don't know. I am eating everything. I prefer vanilla over checolate.
    I will check what can I get on the fish market this week. Thanks for advice

12. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Honestly you can make just about anything food romantic by the atmosphere you create (dimmed lights, candles, real linens, etc.). And you need to prepare dishes that will not requre you to be in the kitchen during the meal. That usually means keeping things simple. If you both like fish, then by all means pan fry a couple of fillets and make a quick pan sauce, and have some potato or rice dish already done that you can use as the base for the fish. Supplement with some green veg (string beans, etc.) that only need to be steamed/ boiled and finished with some butter. Dessert can be prepurchase or something you make yourself; but if you make it, do something you can prepare ahead of time.

Of course my advice is probably useless, as when my wife and I go to a local French place for a special dinner we both request extra creamy garlic salad dressing... :D

13. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

If you like vanilla:
    - Your safest bet is a panna cotta with a fruit coulis on top. Very easy to prepare and serve.
    - Another classic is creme brulee, but I would advise you to have a blowtorch or one of these lighters that are designed to work in a strong wind to caramelize the sugar before serving
    - Vanilla gelato, you could do it with one of these ice cream machines with a freeze bowl (you can find them for less than £20), but they are noisy which could ruin the mood. You would want to eat the ice cream as soon as it's made (takes about 15mn to freeze the mixture), as opposed to making it in advance and freezing it.
    - Vanilla macarons, much more of a hassle to make than the other options though

Edit: I can give you the recipes for any of these of course :)

14. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hello there:)

Ok guys, I've been on fish market today to check my lobsters. They have them and I can buy them on Monday:) I can get one or two but if I buy 1 then I can get something else like crab meat or prawns. What do you think? I wanted to put lobster on plate covered with salad. I think that it will look good with lemon quarters.
    What else can I make? If neccesary I can bake a bread or baguette. Garlic butter? Is it good? We like garlic:)
    I need one or two complete recipes for salads. Just give me ingredient list and I will found out what to do.
    I talked to her yesterday and now I know that she don't like creme brulee. She would like to try pannacota. I've seen that on youtube yesterday and I like it as well. Looks cool and quite simple to do. There is many recipes on internet but if you have good one, then please give me one.

I am starting to build image of that dinner in my head. But I have not too many time left. I will get all ingredients on Monday morning. Also I will buy new whie plates and new cutlery, white table cloth. Loads of candles and some flowers.
    I have totally no knowledge about wines. Which one will be good? Please give me names and remember that I don't want to spend too much.

P.s. I took some pictures on fish market.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

https://picasaweb.google.com/105172329006238409782/GastroDinner?authkey=Gv1sRgCPX9qtX4iMv2MA

I've seen live lobsters, crabs, boiled crabs, boiled crabs claws, prawns small, big, king (only tails), coctail something which was a mix of small octopus and others.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  15. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  16. daveb

daveb Founding Member

In Fl the stone crab season, commecial and recreational, does not start until Oct. Can't speak to other states or countries. If they are available to you they can be quite good, though a challenge to eat. Blue crabs are in season here now and while not as pretty on a plate they are a little easier to open up.

Shellfish allergies are not uncommon and can be severe. You have checked with SO?

Attached is one of my favorite shell fish recipes from my "Make their panties fall off" file. Gus was a chef for Onasis then opened a restaurant in Orlando many years ago. The recipe was requested and published in the local paper.

Attached Files:

17. Lobster makes for a great meal, with many possibilities that don't take too much time. I know I'm late to the discussion, but here are a couple of recipes that you could make using 2 lobsters from the market. I'd look for 1 1/2 to 2 lb lobsters for this. The first is a ceviche, which you can make in advance...say the morning of the dinner. The second is a dish created by a friend and well known chef Jasper White. Neither of these recipes require exacting precision or a lot of time. Whatever you decide, good luck and be yourself!

Ceviche:
    1. Blanche one lobster in boiling water for 5 minute then plunge in an ice bath. Once cool crack the shell and remove and dice the claw, knuckle and tail meat.
    2. In a bowl, combine the juice of 1 orange and two limes, 1 small chopped tomato, 1/4 finely chopped red onion, 1/2 finely diced jalapeno (more or less to your taste), a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
    3. Add the lobster meat, mix and refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
    4. Before serving, check and adjust seasoning; add 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro.
    5. For serving, drain and serve in small bowls or martini glasses. Use a lettuce leaf, or small mixed greens as a base. Garnish could be a slice of avocado, pita chips, plantain chips, small toasts etc.

Pan roasted lobster:
    1. Remove the claws and knuckles (together) from one lobster, and split the body in two halves. Remove the head sac and intestines, but save the tomalley.
    2. Blanche the claws and knuckles in salted boiling water for 5 minutes, cool in an ice bath, crack the shells and remove the meat.
    3. Prep a boiler on high. Set a heavy skillet or cast iron pan on high heat. When the pan is very hot, add a few glugs of oil.
    4. Sear the lobster tail halves shell side down in the oil for 2 minutes, or until the shells turn bright red. Turn the shells flesh side down and add the reserved tomalley to the pan. Shake the pan and put under the broiler for 2 -3 minutes.
    5. Remove from the oven and put back over high heat on the stove. Add the lobster knuckle and claw meat, plus 1 minced shallot and stir for 1 minute. Add a few tablespoons bourbon and ignite. Shake the pan until the flames die out, then add 2 tablespoons white wine.
    6. Let cook until the liquid almost evaporates and remove from the heat; remove the lobster tails and knuckle and claw meat. Plate the tails, and place the knuckle and claw meat in the body cavity of the tail shells.
    7. Return the pan to the heat and add 3 - 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon each minced chervil (tarragon or parsley will do as substitutes) and chives. Season and pour the pan sauce over the plated lobster.

18. Haggises

Haggises Founding Member

Today's the day? Wonder if OP is up to his neck in screaming lobsters. :)

Good luck!

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

waiting anxiously for the results. Hope there are pics:)

20. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

Not to be too gross, but I hope he removes the poop shoot on the lobster. Nothing says romantic buzzkill like a sandy bite of lobster tail.