1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me organize trip to Japan.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by BathonUk, Feb 2, 2018.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi guys,

As some of you already know, I have been chosen to participate in the ‘’Who wants to come to Japan’’ programme realized by TV Tokyo. This is the programme in which people from around the world have a chance to go to Japan to learn more about their passion. Of course, in my case, the programme will be about my passion for Japanese knives and sharpening. I do not know what I will do there because it will be surprise, but I think that they will take me to some blacksmiths, sharpeners, knife stores etc. I will spend a whole week out there filming. I will probably go there at the end of March and beginning of April. I don’t think that I will have some spare time while filming, but I plan to stay there few more days. I think that I will try to stay in Tokyo and if I will have a time I will maybe go to Kyoto.

I want to spend this time as best as possible. I will choose sightseeing places myself, but if you know about good knife related places in Japan, then please let me know. I mean knife and stone shops. Also, if you could bring one knife and stone from Japan, what would you choose? I am not looking for anything super extra custom because I cannot afford it, but anything else in rational price will be good. I was obviously thinking about Masamoto shop on Tsukiji market. I could bring a nice 270mm yanagiba KS or KS gyuto. Or maybe Aritsugu shop. So… if you can recommend me anything then please do. I will much appreciate it.

Greg

2. In Kyoto, Shigeharu, opposite Nijo Castle. The shop is at the front, and the forge behind. Really nice guy and a very good range of single and double bevel knives. He also resells a few others but the core of his business is his own knives.

We’re going to be there end of March too!

3. I also like Kikuichi-Monji in Kyoto. It’s in Sanjyo Dori, near Teramachi Dori. Amazing selection of everything, and very friendly (if you speak some Japanese) but you do have to ask for the interesting items by name. I bought a Kato kiridashi there last year.

Good luck!

J :)