1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Pencil suggestions.

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Toothpick, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

looking for some recommendations on good pencils for writing in a journal. Specifically the Field Notes brand.

No mechanical please.

Just old fashioned good quality pencils.

And a good handheld sharpener too if ya got one.

Thanks!

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  3. Don't waste money on a sharpener. I'm sure you have a nice pocket knife that would be perfect.
    Check Amazon for pencils. I'm sure something there will fit the bill.
    MotoMike that was hilarious

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have that book, I've left it on the coffee table and never tell anyone anything about it. Just watch as they examine it and see the shock as they try to figure out if this is for real. Of course those who think it is have probably developed a different opinion about me.

5. I always liked the Mirado Black Warrior HB. I used them for writing measurements and notes, as well as sketching ISO drawings and layouts.
    Nice dark lines and somewhat soft, but still gave a clean line when I needed it.

Can't help on a sharpener though, I mostly used an angle grinder or a pocketknife.

51bRsXlWgVL._SL1500_.jpg

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Palomino Blackwing 602 (https://www.amazon.com/Palomino-Blackwing-602-12-Count/dp/B006YYPIUI)

[​IMG]

• PENCILS WITH HERITAGE – First created in the 1930’s, Blackwing built a cult following that included John Steinbeck and Chuck Jones, who proudly used Blackwings to create Bugs Bunny and many other Looney Tunes characters. Discontinued in the 90’s, devotees paid as much as $40 a pencil. In 2010, we revived the Blackwing brand for a new generation of writers, musicians, and others seeking a more natural existence.
    • PERFECT FOR WRITERS AND EVERYDAY USE – With our firm and smooth Japanese graphite core, Blackwing 602 pencils are perfect for writers, musicians, and everyday users. Use when you want a steady, clear line without excessive sharpening.
    • UNIQUE ICONIC DESIGN – Blackwing’s unique and iconic rectangular erasers are synonymous with quality. Each of our pencils features a specially designed ferrule, allowing you to extend or replace the eraser.
    • COMMITMENT TO QUALITY – Blackwing 602 pencils are made with the finest materials in the world, including Genuine Incense-cedar from California and premium Japanese graphite.

[​IMG]

7. Toothpick

Those Blackwings will probably be the winner.

And I'm going to have to buy that book. You can't mention pencils without someone bring up that book. It gets good reviews too. Those that read it say it's the perfect balance of hilariousness and seriousness.

8. Toothpick

9. Rick

You can imagine what he gets for a box of custom toothpicks.

10. Rick

11. Toothpick

To late. Bought the 602's. And a pencil sharpener. Will be here Thursday. That's a great website though!

12. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

13. Wow....old thread risen from the depths!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

14. Toothpick

Bought the Palomino Blackwing 602. If I had these when I was in school I would have been a better student. That’s how awesome I think they are. I’ve been marking up my Field Notes with them and they are exactly as described. No smearing, no breaking, look great, feel great, I’d eat them if I could.

15. I prefer lead in my pencil.