1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Patina Confessions...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by mr drinky, May 2, 2014.

1. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

photo-30.JPG So, every now and then I forget to wipe a blade off -- and that seems to be happening more and more lately.

Anyhow, here is a thread dedicated to all those unwiped blades, bad mustard impressions, and all other sorts of things that leave marks on your knives.

To achieve this particular patina, I cut some cheese with a Martell and left it unattended while I talked hockey for a couple of hours drinking beer. Please feel free to replicate this with different hockey teams and different beer.

P.S. It is nothing dramatic, but it was the only good example on hand.

k.

2. Asteger

Asteger Founding Member

Patina confessions? How about rust confessions.

I have no interest in outdoing anybody, but I'm sure I'll produce an example of my own at some unexpected time soon enough....

3. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

Hmmm, time stamp of 03:38 am. Me thinks I drank a bit too much last night. Go Wild.

k.

4. I wish I'd taken pics of the horribly done mustard patina I tried to put on my yamawaku. It looked liked badly done zebra stripes. Very embarrassing display of unartistic abilities. It's since been scrubbed and bathed in hot beef blood to form a natural blue patina.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I have a similar patina on my Catcheside. It was from the time I left a piece of chicken breast on my blade, while imagining what the Leafs being in the playoffs would be like....

On a side note, the best late night, wine driven food is spaghetti with with olive oil, minced garlic, chilies and thyme.

7. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

I dunk all of my carbon knives in hot vinegar, these days. Makes the oopsies much less memorable.

8. I can't fess up to any recent oopsie! moments but I do like a Sriracha patina..

9. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Founding Member

I bought some very unripe bananas and wanted to make a smoothy. So I used my carbon steel knife to skin the banana . . . you have never seen such a quick and black reaction. I've never tried hot vinegar though.

10. I have 2 brand new white #2s. Might try to plant one into a warm but raw corned beef and see what the nitrites can do.

Cheers,

Rick

11. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I let a customer use a 52100 Sab profiled artifex while I was sharpening his roll. It came back funky. No rust, just lots of unattractive spots. I cleaned it off. Will try hot vinegar me thinks!

12. panda

panda Founding Member

I don't mind ugly patina, no need to scrub if it's not rust.

13. A ristretto and a tissue are all you need: try dabbing with hot strong black coffee. Clean the very edge immediately. Rinse after a while with hot water. Results vary a lot depending on the used coffee.

14. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

I had a lost love who would make that after a long night of imbibing. She referred to it as drunk pasta. So good. Never should have let that one go... Follies of youth:/

15. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Bought a Sab recently that looked like this upon arrival. Sabatier2.JPG Sabatier.JPG

16. John Fout

Its barely used. Not too bad for an early patina.

17. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Meaning I should leave it alone?

18. John Fout

You can do with it what you like. :) It'll clean up quick if you want it shiny or clean. You can take baking soda to it and gradually gray it or you can use the snot out of it and let it keep going. If you take it off you may notice a metalic scent or taste on some acidic foods for a bit.

19. I would clean it up and than force a new, more even patina.