1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Oyster and clam knives

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jim, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Is it OK if I throw down the gauntlet ( BTW does anyone have a gauntlet I could borrow for this?) and ask if anyone is making Oyster and Clam knives? I would imagine it would be a pretty simple project for the talent we have on the KKFora.
    Whacha got?

2. May not be the answer you are looking for, but Coastal Knives makes a killer oyster knife. Some of them have a bottle opener on the end too which is awesome.

3. Jim

4. Quintin Middleton makes some pretty cool ones he calls "Brew Shuckers" -I'm sure you can figure it out.....
    ....I sent him a Facebook message a while ago to try and get him on board here, especially when you had the introductory craftsman/vendor fees. I guess he's doing well enough without any forum/fora exposure. I'm actually pretty blown away by how well he's doing. I still would like to see him here though.
    It's not all about sales, it's about a community.

5. I talked to Quinton the other day and he is swamped, but he does make a killer shucking knife!

6. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I just googled Oyster knife.
    I never used one for oysters or clams...just a butter knife. ..I think. ...been a while. ..

Can there be an uglier knife?*

*Exception. In the Google image, there was one knife with a Damascus blade and nice handle. Now that! is an Oyster knife!

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I got about 1/8 done on one, and got bored. Hahaha.

8. Jim

9. I did a wa rehandle on a Dexter a couple' a years ago....... I'll post a pic.....................eventually.

10. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

How about anyone post one they use?

11. Bob Cumming makes a nice pattern.

12. Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would agree!

13. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I picked up one of these off eBay. Vintage circa early 20th century I think. Heavy. Feels good in the hand though. It's carbon steel though and quite reactive. When I eat steamed clusters I eat the oyster off the knife and I don't like like the smell while i am eating. And don't accidentally bang your teeth! Would be nice in stainless. Probably ok for service but might be tiring because of the weight. IMG_20150414_132749.jpg