1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon Knife Collectors Association Show

Discussion in 'Get togethers, Tastings, Restaurant Openings, Etc' started by Andrew, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I was up bright and early for a trip down to Eugene for an 8am powerpoint presentation on CPM steels from Crucible Industries. Niagara Specialty Metals ends up with a lot of their product. The show is open to OKCA members on the Friday, so I went with a friend who designed a knife for Spyderco that will be released in a few months. I bought a pocket knife from Sal Glesser and had a look around.

Vendors get set up today, since the show is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday. It's a laidback atmosphere, and a lot of people spend a good chunk of the day socializing. There are typically only a few kitchen knife makers. Most makers focus on hunting knives and folders. Half the show is collectible knives.

I took some photos of kitchen knives made by Blair Todd, who is a new maker located in the Portland, OR area. He's a nice guy, and I thought his knives looked really good. I was tempted by a lovely paring knife (last one pictured). Blair may be along at some point, as I left a certain fora's website with him.

I'm certainly no knife expert, but it was great to meet some new folks today and handle some amazing knives. I'm going back tomorrow to re-visit a knife I can't get out of my mind and to attend a sharpening seminar with Murray Carter. P1100856.JPG P1100844.JPG P1100845.JPG P1100849.JPG P1100846.JPG P1100843.JPG P1100847.JPG P1100853.JPG P1100848.JPG P1100850.JPG P1100851.JPG P1100852.JPG

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

cool stuff... get murray to show you how to shave with a spoon

3. Thanks for showing my work. It was great to meet you. This was my first show an I met many great people. I ended up getting the best new maker award for the nakiri that you posted. I plan to be at more shows and should have my website up soon.
    Blair

4. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Very nice! I can get behind some of those blades. If you ever need some pro kitchen reviews ya know.. wink wink nudge nudge say no more!

5. Andrew

Congrats, Blair! Sounds like you're off to a wonderful start.

I actually had a chat with Murray this afternoon, James. He has a new-ish knife sharpening video (among others) on his website. I plan to download it, as I'm not exactly an expert at freehand sharpening.

This is an amazing show. There are a shocking number of custom knife makers located in Oregon.

6. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Blair, welcome. Andrew, did you end up getting the knife?

7. Tarok

Tarok Founding Member

Great to meet you and see your work today Blair. Jon brought by the gyuto with the hamon he got from you and I went to town on some steak prep with it. Gratz on the award!!

8. gavination

gavination Founding Member

You're a terrible person for having fun without me! Haha!

9. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

Being a proud owner to the Nakiri you won with made my day too.
    Next year you can have fun at the show with us.

10. Andrew

We should get ourselves organized with a thread beforehand next year, and do a little KKFora meet up, if possible.

11. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

I agree with a link up next year

12. gavination

gavination Founding Member

And then I'll be around!

13. Andrew

It's worth joining OKCA ($20) and going on the Friday before the show is open to the public. There aren't a lot of people around, so it's a good chance to chat with vendors/makers. There are some good deals to be had that day, as well. Membership gets you in all 3 days of the show, although a day or so is about all I ever need. This year, I saved hundreds of dollars on knives that I wouldn't have otherwise ever bought, and I only bought 3 knives.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post a thread next year about a month before the show so folks can plan for it.

14. I would love to see a thread or subforum for shows. I have been looking at various Knife & Gun shows in our area (they seem to be mostly combo shows here). Since I don't know many kitchen knife maker names yet, it is really difficult to figure out what would be a good show to attend. Even more fun to attend a show where I could also meet some of the fora-folks.